Chapter 131

"Serena."

As she blinked, the room she was in, wasn't even a room, it was endless white in every direction and in front of her stood Ithuriel himself.

"Ithuriel," she said, slightly confused but mostly relieved that he was ok. Her hands then went to her chest, where she could feel her heart beating firmly beneath her palm. "What happened?"

"You took the chance the angels gave you and you saved my life. And in turn, the Angel Raziel granted you life, and I granted you the protection your brother didn't have," Ithuriel said with a small smile.

"Thank you," she replied, still confused and disoriented, and Ithuriel's smile was warm.

"No, thank you, my child. You saved my life, with no regard for your own. For that, saving the life of an angel, which is no small feat, I am eternally indebted to you."

"I am just glad you're alright."

He chuckled. "That is precisely why the angels allowed you to my location. They hoped you'd do the right thing regardless of the consequences bestowed upon you. And for that, they have granted you a second chance, because your work is not yet complete. You'll return to the mortal world once we are done here."

"Ithuriel, about my brother, I have to ask, is he ok?"

The Angel's expression turned grim.

"No. He is not. And I have already told Clary Fairchild the reason why he is the way he is."

"Clary knows?" she questioned in disbelief.

"Indeed, she does. But that is for her, and her alone, to tell you. May I?" he asked as he held his hand out and she nodded.

Ithuriel's hand was warm as he gently placed it on her throat, and it grew warmer still before he moved it away.

"You already have all that you need to save the Owl from Lilith."

"Lilith? As in the mother of all demons?"

"Yes."

"But how? Why would we save the Owl? Ithuriel, this doesn't make any sense."

His smile was soft as he gazed at her. "All will make sense in time. But for now, my child, sleep, and return home."

And his hand was placed on her forehead before she fell into darkness.