Chapter 176

Though the night had begun with so many highs, defeating Jonathan, Serena being pregnant, so many Downworlders and Shadowhunters getting along, some a bit too well, and even Maryse revealing that she and Luke were together, even though all her kids, Clary included, knew. It ended on a massive low.

Clary was gone.

She had vanished from the party, and Jace had entered his room in search of her only to find a letter. A letter explaining the price she paid for defying the angels, the loss of her runes and her memories of the Shadow World.

And that night, as Jace cried the loss of Clary out all over again, his sister said nothing as she held him and sang him to sleep before silently crying herself as she too mourned the loss of her sister.

So that night after she left her brother asleep in his bed, she went to the roof and called out to Ithuriel.

The golden aura that surrounded him as he landed was nothing but warming as he turned to her with a smile.

"Hello, Serena."

"Hello, Ithuriel."

"First I believe congratulations are in order."

"Thank you," she said with a small smile as a hand rested on her stomach.

"Why have you called me here?"

"Ithuriel, I think you know why. And I know that it is the will of the angels, and that I would never defy you, but I have to ask, can we get Clary back?"

Ithuriel's smile was sympathetic.

"I am sorry for the pain it puts you all through, but, Clary Fairchild defied the angels and the laws of nature one too many times. She needed to learn a lesson."

Serena went to speak but Ithuriel cut her off.

"But, you once said that your brothers love for you had withstood 23 years of trials and tribulations. And if your love and your family's love for each other has withstood demonic curses and possession, Valentine, Lilith, Jonathan and even death, I don't see why it can't withstand a little memory wipe."

And Ithuriel was gone.