Chapter 35

As Jace, Luke, Serena and Michael approached Renwick's on the night of Izzy's trial, Luke said, "This doesn't make any sense. There were a thousand demons here last night."

"That's what he wants. Draw us in and force Clary to use the Cup," Michael said as two Shadowhunters ran out from the building, blades drawn, soon after followed by three more.

Luke fought with his bare hands, armed with his werewolf strength as Serena duelled two men at the same time with her twin swords, her movements graceful and effortless, as if she'd done this dance a million times, she essentially had.

Michael had to say that he was impressed as he watched his eldest child take down the two, her blades slicing through their necks as Jace, Luke and his opponents fell dead to the ground as well.

"Not bad, honey," he praised, and Serena tried not to cringe once again. "I forgot how much fun this was. "

They began walking towards the entrance that Clary had already snuck inside when someone yelled, "GREYMARK! Where are your claws?"

A Shadowhunter in a suit, stood on top of an old car, blade in hand, alight.

"I don't need claws to kill you, coward," Luke responded.

"Don't bother with that," the man gestured to the unlit seraph blade that Luke held, taken from his dead opponent. "It only lights up for real Shadowhunters."

Luke turned to the trio of Wayland's. "Find Jocelyn. I got this."

Serena and Jace were both about to move forward to help Luke when their father stopped them.

"We need to find Clary, now," he ordered.

And the twins reluctantly ran inside, followed by their father.

******************************************************************

The Wayland's ran into the room where Clary stood over Jocelyn's floating form, the woman still unconscious.

They slammed the door shut, the men holding it closed as Serena drew locking runes onto them.

"Where's Luke?!" Clary asked as Serena worked.

"We left him to fight Blackwell," Jace answered.

"What?!"

"He asked us to leave him, Clary," Serena defended as she was done and the boys let go, only to have the door be banged on by demons as they tried to tear them down.

Clary ran for the doors, Jace catching her and holding her back.

"Jace! We can't leave Luke out there; he has to make it inside!" she cried as they held onto each other.

"No, Clary! There is not enough time!"

"We have to secure the room!" Michael yelled as he held another set of doors closed for Serena to rune. "We don't even know if Luke is still -"

"Alive?!"

Clary grew hysterical as Jace held her.

"Jace no! You have to tell him! We cannot shut Luke out! He will die for nothing!"

She glanced back to her mother as she said, "I can't wake her up."

"Of course, you can't," Serena said as she twirled her stele. "Warlock magic put her to sleep, only warlock magic can wake her up."

"Luke wants you and Jocelyn out of here. That's all he cares about. Pull yourself together," Michael said in disgust at how unprofessional Clary was being right now.

"Clary, if you don't help us, no one survives. Do you understand? We will get her home," Jace urged.

Clary turned back to Jocelyn but Jace said, "Look at me. We will find a way to wake her up. Do you believe me?"

Clary didn't have a chance to answer as the demon screeching grew louder and Michael said, "Get ready."

And Serena sent a silent sorry and goodbye to the Lightwoods just in case.