Chapter 114

"Why would they hide out in a graveyard?" Clary asked as they walked through it.

"They probably raided an old weapons cache," Serena suggested.

"It doesn't explain what happened to everybody else here," Jace pointed out.

"I don't think they left," Alec said as he observed a tombstone, bow in hand.

"Another demon trap," Izzy noted.

"Well, let's split up. A team of two and one of three," Alec then ordered.

"I'll go with Serena," Clary blurted at the same time as Jace said,

"I'll go with Alec. "

They all gave the duo strange looks but didn't question it.

"Ok. Uh, looks like it's girls and boys. Be careful," she said to the boys, pecking Alec's lips before they ran in different directions.

The girls ran into a mausoleum, weapons drawn, save for Izzy, whose wrist itched to activate her whip that still sat in its bracelet form.

"Clary, wanna talk about what happened between you and my brother at the Institute?" Serena asked as they walked.

"What happened?" Izzy asked curiously.

"There's no point in talking about any of that till we figure this out," Clary said as she looked at the blood smear on the wall of tombstones.

"Izzy," Serena called softly and she made a gesture with two fingers, her parabatai understanding as they flanked out, moving towards a body that was sitting on a pew.

"Stop!" Izzy called, closer to the body than the other girls.

"Is she hurt?" Clary asked and Serena met eyes with her parabatai.

"No. She's Forsaken," Serena answered and Izzy's whip became a bow staff as the creature roared at them.

Blood was everywhere as more and more Forsaken appeared, Clary fighting on her own while the Lightwood girls fought in perfect sync, their parabatai bond growing stronger with every blow. Where Serena would slash and pull away, Izzy would knock down with her staff. And where Izzy blocked, Serena struck.

And it felt good to be working together again.

Their faces were splattered with blood as the last of the bodies went down, only for three more to come charging.

Three more that fell to the ground as a single arrow pierced their brains to reveal Alec standing behind them.

"I think that's the last of them," he said as he walked towards them, face also covered in blood as well, but Serena's heart clenched as her knee began to click.

"Are you ok?" Izzy asked as she hugged him.

"Where's JJ?" Serena asked, voicing the question before Clary could.

"Sebastian. We gotta find him," Alec answered but before they could do anything, the Forsaken rose again.

They readied their weapons.

"Izzy, Serena! Alec and I got this, you two need to find Jace. You've got the whip, the electrum, we know it can hurt him. And so can your voice. GO!" Clary yelled.

And the girls ran.