Chapter 116

Jace was beyond annoyed.

After dealing with Jonathan last night, he'd been holed up in the infirmary, waiting on his sister and Danica to heal up the last of his wounds when Clary had come in.

After a conversation, the two had ended up kissing and Serena had walked in on the moment, both of them turning tomato red as they'd broken apart and Serena healed up her brother with a mischievous smirk.

And since then, she hadn't stopped teasing him about it. And to make matters worse, she'd told Izzy and the two of them were relentless.

Despite their victory over Jonathan, they still had to deal with Valentine who was still missing. The warlocks were still maintaining the wards around Brooklyn, so Valentine was still here, and Serena and Alec had dispatched Shadowhunters to do a block-by-block search for him.

But as they finished organising that, the alarm at the Institute had sounded. Ariel sensors picking up something in the sky.

So, the five of them had geared up, Alec the most crucial to the mission as his bow would make the most effective weapon against an aerial demon.

As they ran through the streets of New York, they stopped at an intersection as they scanned their surroundings.

"Where is it?" Jace asked.

"It should be right on top of us," his twin answered as she hefted her swords.

"Alec!" Clary yelled and the boy had his bow drawn as the demon flew between the skyscrapers, almost hiding behind them.

"I've never seen a demon like that," Izzy noted as it flew out of sight.

"Worry about what it is after we kill it," Serena pointed out as they formed a circle, all of them facing outward as they kept their eyes peeled for it. "Baby, if there was ever a time not to miss," Serena said semi-jokingly.

"Don't you trust me?" he winked at her and she smirked.

"On your six!" Jace yelled as he and his parabatai switched spots and Alec fired.

And he missed.

"You were saying?" Serena said smugly.

"Shut up," Alec said to his wife as he drew another arrow.

"Joke around later. Can you see it?" Izzy asked, but no one could.

They could hear its screeches clear as day, but it stayed hidden.

"What the hell is it waiting for?" Clary wondered as it appeared again.

"It's coming around for another pass," Serena noted as Alec followed it with his arrow, aiming.

"Alec!" Izzy called out as it began to fly straight at them, roaring, as they fanned out into a single line, Alec at the centre with his bow drawn.

"Relax, I got this," he said calmly before he exhaled and fired.

The demon broke apart as its entrails fell to the ground, setting off car alarms.

"Nice," Jace praised his parabatai.

"It's not over just yet," Serena said and the rest of them turned to where the demon had apparently been split into smaller creatures that split up.

Some ran up buildings and others into the subway.

And to make matters worse, before they could even chase after any of them, Clary got a call from Luke.

"Valentine's in Idris," she announced, and they all froze.

"How?" Alec asked.

"He made a deal with the Seelie Queen. Luke's already warned the other Downworld leaders," she answered, and Serena kicked the trunk of a car, making the alarm go off.

"That's what I get for saving her life," she muttered, and Alec put an arm around her, his contact making pop the bubble of anger in her chest.

"Damn Valentine," Jace swore.

"If Valentine gets to that lake-" Izzy began.

"He won't. Malachi's army is armed and waiting for him," Alec pointed out.

"We need to warn him. Who knows how many Circle members will be there?" Clary piped up.

"And how many members of the Clave aren't secretly working for Valentine," Serena said and they all looked grimly at her.

"If we lower the wards, the demons will get out and spread throughout the city," Izzy said.

"Maybe we don't have to lower them. Maybe my portal rune can pierce the wards," the redhead suggested.

"We can't all go. The demons need to be dealt with," Alec spoke up.

"Clary and I will go. You two stay, slay the beasts. What do you want to do?" Jace asked his sister who sighed as she contemplated.

"As much as I want to be there to help you kill Valentine, I'm more useful here. I still have Downworlders to deal with," she said and Jace nodded as they turned away. "Jacey!" Serena called before Clary began drawing. "Make it hurt."

He kissed her forehead. "I promise."

And the duo disappeared through the portal.