Chapter 149

"Grandma? What are you doing here?" Serena asked as she woke, the healed woman sitting on the edge of her bed, the clock on her nightstand telling her that she'd slept for close to 12 hours.

"What, so now I need an excuse to come see my only family?"

Serena smiled as she sat up and hugged her. "Of course not. It's good to see you. I'm glad you're ok."

"I owe all that to you," she smiled as she cupped the girl's cheek.

"How long are you here for?"

Imogen sighed. "Unfortunately, the Clave need me back in Alicante as soon as possible. I only came by for a quick hello and to drop off Aline before heading back to Idris."

"Grandma, can I ask you for a favour? And can you be honest with me?"

Imogen grew concerned. "Of course, you can ask me anything."

"Izzy and I have been investigating reports filed by the recaptured Downworlders from the Gard. They claim that they're being tortured. Grandma, I have to know, is any of this true?"

"I'm sorry but I have no clue. As far as I know, the Clave outlawed torture over 100 years ago."

"What about project Heavenly Fire?"

"I'm not even going to ask how you know about that, but, Project Heavenly Fire was an off-book project commissioned by the Inquisitor before me. I had no input or say in it because I thought it was shut down when I took over. Beyond that, I don't know much more but I can assure you, I'll start digging once I return to Alicante."

"Thank you, Grandma."

Imogen kissed her forehead, Serena feeling nothing but loved by the touch.

"Of course, Serena. You and Alexander are exactly the kind of change that the Clave needs. I wouldn't be surprised if you become the next Inquisitors after me."

Serena looked confused at her Grandmother's mischievous smile.

"But there's only ever been one High Inquisitor at a time before."

"And before you, there was no such thing as a Clave Envoy to Downworlders. Like I said, you are the change that the Clave needs."

Ithuriel's words then flashed through Serena's mind. "If your vision of what the Clave should be would come to pass..."

Brushing it off, Serena pulled back the covers, slipping on some shoes and throwing one of Alec's button-downs on, tying the ends into a knot at her waist, revealing the blue camisole she wore.

But before she left, she moved to her bedside table and pulled out a stele.

"I believe this is yours, Grandma," she said handing it back to the older Shadowhunter, who smiled warmly at her.

"Thank you, my dear."

"Let's go find Jace and Alec before you have to leave."

And the two Herondale's strode out arm in arm.