Chapter 119

They were too late.

When they landed, they were a while away from the shores of Lake Lyn, but they were close enough to see as the evening sky glowed gold as Valentine had raised the angel.

And they began running.

******************************************************************

When they reached the grassy shores of Lake Lyn, the golden light of Raziel was gone.

Jace and Clary sat on the ground, kissing, both of them perfectly alive.

A sigh of relief flowed through Serena before her eyes rested on the dead body near them.

Valentine.

It was clear he'd died in agony, holding his slashed throat with several other stab wounds perforating his abdomen.

"This is for me, and my brother," she said softly as she pulled out her blade and began stabbing at Valentine's dead body while Alec and Magnus checked on Jace and Clary.

Izzy eventually grabbed Serena's hand, stopping her before she could bring the blade back down for the sixth or seventh time, she'd honestly lost count.

"He's dead, S. He's gone. He can't hurt either of you again," Izzy said softly as she coaxed the sword from Serena's hand.

While Jace told the others how he didn't know how he was alive and how Alec's parabatai rune had miraculously reappeared on his body, Serena met eyes with her brother as he pulled away from hugging Alec.

And they ran at each other.

Her legs wrapped around Jace's waist as he squeezed her tight, both of them red-faced and red-eyed as she tried to stop the tears.

"You were dead. I thought you were dead. You were dead," she sobbed into his shoulder as her face was buried into his neck and his in hers.

"You can't get rid of me that easy," he joked, and Serena laughed despite herself and Jace set her down, arms still wrapped around each other.

And when they pulled away, Serena was checking over her little brother for injuries when Alec's voice said, "It's over. We won."