Chapter 69

The conversation after Magnus had sent Iris to the Clave had been dire.

Serena and Clary finally told everyone about the Soul Sword and what it could do to the Downworld, despite Jace's protests. Serena also made it clear to Magnus that she had always planned to tell them and that the wolves already knew.

Clary then told them about the runes that the Angel gave her, that that was how she and Serena saved Ithuriel.

Magnus then told them how it was possible for Clary and Serena to hear the Angel.

Back when Jonathan Shadowhunter was made a Shadowhunter by the Angel Raziel, Jonathan could communicate with the angel because he was made by his blood.

Which meant that Clary and Serena had a blood relation to Ithuriel.

They had pure Angel blood.

Clary and Serena could activate the Soul Sword.

But that begged the question.

If Serena had pure angel blood and could hear the angels, and Jace was her twin, why didn't he?

"Baby, talk to me," Alec pleaded when they finally returned to the Institute.

Serena had been dead silent the entire trip home.

"Let it out. Tell me what you're thinking," Alec asked of her as her hands trembled.

"This entire time, I never really thought much about the fact that Valentine is my biological father. He always seemed more interested in Jace or Clary and I thought I could get away with being the forgotten child. And now he's after me. He's after me because he experimented on me. I know I have pure Angel blood, but I heard Ithuriel's pain. He'd been chained for so many years. The agony he was in was indescribable. All of that just so he could have a tool to decimate the entire Downworld? I have the power to kill my friends. People I swore to protect. And Jace, Alec. What about Jace? If he has demon blood, how do I have Angel blood? How did I calm everyone down by screaming at them before? How did I hear Ithuriel but Jace didn't? What if I kill my brother?"

"Hang on, back up, "Alec interrupted. "What do you mean, 'calm everyone down by screaming'?"

"You were sedated by Magnus. Magnus said that my pendant saved me from the spell. It wards off all warlock magic with harmful intent, and anyone in contact with me was temporarily protected from the spell. Everyone was arguing, you just tried to kill yourself, and I couldn't take it anymore. I screamed 'enough' at them. And they all stopped. They continued to argue but it was more like they were talking to each other, they calmed."

"What did Magnus say about it?"

"He thinks it's part of my angel blood. Clary gets to create runes and I have the ability to calm people with my voice. "

Alec placed his hands on the sides of her neck. "Look, I don't know what's happening. I don't know when we'll get answers or even if we'll get answers. But you are not alone in this, alright? It's like you and Izzy always tell me, you can't keep bottling things up or eventually you'll explode. And not the fun kind of explode."

Serena laughed. "Glad to know that finally sank in."

"And look, I know I fell prey to that spell tonight, but honestly, for the most part, I've made peace with what I did. There is always some part of me that will forever remain guilty for what I did to you and Jocelyn, but I'm ok, especially now that you're ok. I swear it on the Angel. I swear it on us."

"If you're sure?"

"I am."

Serena gave a heavy sigh. "How did we end up here?"

Alec furrowed his eyebrows. "I hope you don't mean how did you end up here, married to me, because I'm pretty sure you willingly chose to let me burn the fact that you're married to me into your skin," he said holding up her wrist to show off the wedded union rune and Serena couldn't help but laugh.

"At least you have one to match," she smiled as she held up his wrist.

"And no matter who your parents are, or what kind of blood you have, our family and I know who you are. And we're not going anywhere," Alec promised and Serena smiled.

"To be fair though, you grew up with me and Jace. You knew you were getting crazy and weird the second you asked me on our first date, more like demanded."

Alec chuckled.

"Fair point."

And their lips met.