Chapter 143

(A/N: Final season. Let's go. XxD)

******************************************************************

"It's not your fault. It's not your fault. Clary dying is not your fault," Serena promised her brother as he cried in her lap.

They'd killed Lilith using Simon's mark. But, in the explosion that killed her, it took Clary with her, along with Jonathan, which, despite Clary, was an upside.

Jace blamed himself for Clary's death as did Simon, and lately on missions it seemed as if he was trying to get himself killed.

Serena had walked into his room to talk to him about it, Jace not even wanting to talk to Alec, but he wasn't there.

She'd found him in Clary's room, crying at the foot of her bed as he sat hugging his knees, a sketchbook with a drawing of him lying open on the floor next to him.

"She's gone, Rena. She's gone," he wailed, and Serena cradled his head to her as she began singing softly the old song Maryse used to sing to them before bed when they were little.

Serena's voice had been the only thing to calm her brother down as Clary's loss tore him apart. It tore Serena apart too, but seeing Jace in his condition made it all the worse.

But even Serena's calm could only last so long before Jace thought of Clary again.

Many times, she'd sat with her brother, holding him and singing until he fell asleep, just like she did when they were little. And she'd rather end up with a stiff back and a sore ass from sitting there too long rather than walking in on her brother destroying his room, knuckles covered in blood as he hefted a blade that she didn't dare fathom what he'd do with.

The only good that came from the entire situation was when Magnus, Izzy and Alec managed to catch Iris Rouse who'd been trying to get to Madzie who was staying with Magnus. Jia Penhallow the new Consul had accompanied the guard coming to escort Iris back to Idris, saying that she'd pardoned Clary's crimes as she'd saved the Consul's life.

But when Izzy and Serena had confronted Jia about the torture that the Downworlders reported being subjected to in the Gard, she denied anything, but Serena didn't trust her.

Something she told Alec as they spared with bow staffs.

"I can't wait till Grandma resumes her job as Inquisitor, then I might be able to get some real answers."

"How's she doing by the way?" Alec asked as Serena jumped over his attempt to sweep out her legs.

"Better. She's awake and she remembers everything, and she doesn't blame Jace which is good. I'm trying to make plans to go and see her, but I can't leave JJ, not with him in his condition."

Alec ducked her swipe before their staffs clanged together as he blocked her strikes.

"So, once the Brothers have cleared her, she'll come visit here before heading back to Idris."

"She-She's coming here?" Alec stuttered and Serena was able to knock his staff from his hands in his moment of hesitation, aiming the end of hers at his neck.

"Alexander Gideon Lightwood, are you scared of my grandmother?"

"No. She just makes me nervous. You would be too if your grandmother-in-law was the High Inquisitor," Alec said as he ducked under her staff, dodging and spinning her around so that Serena was pressed to his chest, his hand holding one of hers to her stomach while the other held her staff to her neck.

"You're so cute," Serena cooed with a teasing smile as she pressed her chest harder into Alec's, her free hand on his bare hip, fingers playing with the waistband of his sweatpants.

"Don't flirt with me," he said as he pushed her back and dropped her staff, lowering himself into a defensive stance as they readied to go hand-to-hand.

"Aww, you're even more adorable when I make you flustered."

Alec then stood tall, face blank but eyes alive with a wicked glimmer as he sighed," I told you not to flirt with me."

And as he approached his wife, Serena backing up until her back hit a support pillar and Alec's lips were on hers.

The stone was rough against her back as Alec kissed her, his hands on the sides of her neck while one of hers rested on his shoulder and the other began to lift up his shirt as she kissed him back with equal ferocity.

"Hold that thought," Alec said as he cut their kiss short, and his shirt fell as he scooped up his wife into his arms with a small squeal.

"Bedroom."