Chapter 91

In a gesture of peace, and favour to Clary, Serena had invited all Downworlders to the Hunter's Moon bar, where Simon was performing some original music.

It had been a good day, sort of.

It had been a day of introducing Imogen to Downworlders and smoothening over relationships with them after Jace unknowingly activated the Soul-Sword.

And then it ended with Izzy, Serena, Raphael and Meliorn stopping a rogue Seelie who'd been killing Shadowhunters and making it look like a Downworld uprising.

The Seelie that Serena had caught Jace in bed with weeks ago.

Oh, how good it felt when she and Izzy killed her, saving Max in the process. The youngest Lightwood was in New York to be trained by Izzy before going on his first mission. And Max, being the stubborn boy that he is, followed them to try and stop the Seelie, Kaelie, only to end up getting kidnapped himself.

He was ok now and without a scratch, barred from leaving the Institute for a while because of his rash behaviours.

It had been before the Hunter's Moon party, though, when Imogen pulled Alec and Serena into her office.

"You wanted to see us, Imogen?" Serena asked, not comfortable calling her grandma yet, but not wanting to call her Inquisitor Herondale either. So, she and Jace had settled on calling her Imogen for now.

"Yes, please come in."

Alec allowed his wife in first, before closing the door behind them as they took a seat in front of her desk.

"First I want to commend you both for your actions today. Between smoothing over things with the Downworld and catching rogue killers, demon or otherwise, I'm very impressed with you both," she said.

"Just doing our job, Madam Inquisitor."

The woman gave Alec a knowing look, a ghost of a smile on her lips before she moved to lean against the front of her desk.

"Mr Lightwood, Alec, I don't believe such formalities are necessary. Nor do I believe that you were just doing our job."

Alec looked confused, and so was Serena, confused about what her grandmother was doing.

"You went above and beyond to prove the Downworlders innocent of the murders and catch the real killer. And I've seen how well you treat my granddaughter and how happy you make her. Not to mention your parabatai bond with my grandson. No. I believe formalities between us will not work, Alec."

"As you wish...Imogen," Alec said uncertainly, looking between the two women, his wife beaming at him as Imogen gave a small smile, something she'd been doing more and more now that she'd been reunited with her grandkids.

"How beautiful you are. Just like Celine. And headstrong," she said to Serena as she tilted her chin up gently with her finger, the girl still smiling at her.

"And I'm well aware of how stubborn the Lightwoods can be as well," she continued as she went back to leaning on her desk, the couple still somewhat confused as to what this meeting was leading to.

"Stubbornness, and being headstrong, are excellent qualities for the Heads of the Institute."

The couple glanced at each other quickly before looking at Imogen in disbelief.

"Gra-Imogen, what are you saying?" Serena asked softly and the woman had a small smile on her face.

"You two are the new Co-heads of the Institute, effective upon my departure back to Idris."

Alec broke into a massive grin as he stood.

"Thank you, Imogen,' he said and the Herondale shook his hand in thanks, shocked and relieved to finally have reclaimed his family's birthright.

Serena however, hugged her.

"Thank you, Grandma."