Chapter 26

Meliorn had confessed that Clary had the Cup. Alec and Serena had then convinced Jace that Clary hands over the Cup or they would. But the group had other ideas when they found out that Lydia had ordered Meliorn to be taken to the silent brothers in the City of Bones to be interrogated.

And while Clary was trying to have Serena's influence and unify the Downworld for this mission, they weren't expecting Serena and Alec to be on it.

The couple were steps away from the entrance to the City of Bones when Clary appeared behind them and Jace in front.

"You said you were taking Clary back to the Institute. You lied to us," Alec said to his parabatai.

"I did what needed to be done."

"Alec, the Clave has gone too far. You have to see that. And Serena, how can you be ok with this? I thought you were a friend to the Downworld."

"Don't act all superior on me, Clary Fairchild. You don't know me. And you don't know the Shadow World," Serena retorted.

"We have our orders," Alec said.

"Orders?! Who cares about orders?!" Clary yelled outraged.

"See? My wife is right. That is how little you know about being a Shadowhunter. You couldn't possibly understand -"

"It's you that doesn't understand Alec. Not this time," Jace interrupted.

Alec pushed past Clary, leaving Serena with a tight grip on Meliorn as Jace tackled Alec.

"Don't even think about it," Serena warned darkly as the redhead drew a blade.

"I would listen to her, Clarissa," Meliorn advised, but Clary didn't listen.

Serena just sighed as she ducked under the girl's blade, sweeping her feet out from under her, Clary landing flat on her back as her blade was now in the blonde's hand and pressed to her neck.

"Are we done here? I have things to do."

"Do it!" Clary yelled, referring to the blade pressed to her neck and Serena rolled her eyes tiredly.

"I have more important things to do," she said throwing the blade to the side as she approached Meliorn and undid his cuffs with her stele.

As the Seelie rubbed his wrists, Serena pulled out her phone and sent a text.

Soon after, the clattering of Seelie armour and weapons appeared through a portal next to her.

"Thank you, Magnus Bane," she smiled as she handed Meliorn his armour and readied his weapons before turning to the still fighting boys.

"Are you two done ruining our plan yet?" she called and both of them froze.

"What plan?" Jace asked and Serena scoffed.

"I am genuinely offended that you think I'd let the Clave torture any of my friends, or any Downworlder in general. And that you underestimate me to think that I don't have contingency plans in place in case things like this happen. And that you actually thought that I didn't know about your little plan here. Who do you think convinced the vampires and the werewolves to play nice? Because it sure as hell wasn't Valentine's daughter. And you really think we'd have made it so easy for you to steal Alec's stele?"

"Which I didn't appreciate, by the way," Alec said as he stretched out his joints.

Clary was in shock.

"We had a plan, a plan you would've known about had you trusted us. You're only here because we want you to be here," Alec continued as he wiped the blood from his lip with the back of his hand and Jace ran to help Clary.

"Wait, so, you weren't going to take him to the City of Bones?" Clary asked and both of them rolled their eyes.

"Obviously. Now move your asses, we've wasted enough time already," Serena ordered and they marched away from the entrance to the City of Bones.