Chapter 57

In honour of the 26 Silent Brothers and 3 Shadowhunters that died in the recent days, Aldertree was holding a mass funeral for them, a Rite of Mourning, Jocelyn being part of it.

But that was after he'd banned Jace from any field operations. Despite him saving Aldertree's life, Aldertree had seen nothing more than an undisciplined Shadowhunters who let the Soul Sword be stolen.

Clary, through was refusing to accept that her mother was gone and had contacted a warlock by the name of Iris Rouse to help revive her using necromancy, dark, dark magic that Magnus had warned her away from.

Magnus, who was giving Alec some eye-opening advice to help him face Clary and deal with the guilt of Serena after he'd ditched Jace at the Institute.

Izzy was also out of the infirmary, her shoulder a little stiff but better. And she was glad, because she wanted to be a part of the mission Aldertree commissioned to go to the Iron Sisters citadel to find out information about the Soul Sword.

But that was just what she told everyone.

Her wound was still raw. And when Aldertree found out, he gave her something for it.

Something no Shadowhunter should even possess. Something that if Serena knew he had would make for an easy arrest after she beat the hell out of him.

He gave Izzy yin fen. A Downworld drug made from vampire venom and that was very, very addictive.

And while that was happening, Clary had guilted Alec into helping her revive her mother, ignoring Magnus' advice completely.

But Iris Rouse had her own ideas for Clary.

She was going to use Clary to have a baby. A baby warlock, part demon, part Shadowhunter.

And by the time Alec, Izzy and Jace found out, Clary was locked in a room with a demon, a tonic running through her veins that would allow her to have a child with a demon.

She survived though. After having a vision, Clary had drawn a rune that allowed her to shoot sunlight from her hand.

It was a secret between her and Jace who'd walked into the room in time to see it happen.

A secret that no one could know until they knew themselves what was happening to Clary. 

******************************************************************

Shadowhunters dressed in white, along with the Downworlders who wanted to attend, stood ready for the Rite of Mourning as they said goodbye to the fallen Silent Brothers and Shadowhunters.

Clary didn't let go of Jace the entire time.

And Izzy didn't let go of Alec's hand as he fought his guilt.

And they watched as the souls of the dead were sent to the stars, sent to the heavens, where they would all be at peace.

But Alec and Jace were far from at peace as they sat, still in their white suits, at her bedside, one of her hands in theirs.

"Rena, you better not make me wear a white suit anytime soon," Jace said as he stared at his sister as he told her of all the events that happened today, Meliorn standing outside the door to the infirmary to give them some privacy.

"Alec, anything you want to tell her?" Jace asked as he looked to his brother who couldn't look at Serena's face as he instead stared down at where their hands met.

"I'm sorry I didn't come sooner. I just couldn't face you, or Clary, after what I'd done. And even though everyone's told me, even though you'd probably tell me, that it wasn't my fault, it still feels like it. But you can yell at me, hit me, divorce me or whatever else you want, I don't care, I just need you to come back. I'd rather have you yell at me and hate me because then at least you'd be here. And I wouldn't be sitting here wondering if you'll ever wake up."