Chapter 22

(A/N: Thank you guys so much for 10,000 reads! Love the support and love you guys and hope you enjoy the chapter. XxD)

******************************************************************

"Serena, do you think that you and Alec could get my stele back?" Max asked as he walked through the Institute with the couple.

"They took it away because you nearly burned down the Mumbai Institute Maxie," Serena responded with a look but followed with a smile.

"How many times do I have to say that it was an accident?" Max complained.

"Look, Max," Alec said as he crouched down to his brother's height. "Somebody very important is coming to visit. Think you can stay out of trouble for just a couple days? If you do, we promise, we'll get your stele back."

Max didn't get a chance to answer as the doors to the Institute opened and in walked Valentine.

Alec fired his bow as Serena hit the emergency lockdown button on the wall and Shadowhunters began scrambling as alarms blared.

But as Valentine caught the arrow, Serena had run at him with a seraph blade as Alec pushed Max back and nocked another arrow.

She swept his feet out from under him, before pushing him to the floor, holding the blade to his neck.

"Drop the glamour," she ordered as Alec furrowed his brows.

"Get off me first, Serena," Valentine said, except his voice sounded more feminine. Serena's face was angry as she stood, grip on her blade deathly tight as Valentine stood.

Taking out a stele, and pulling up his sleeve, Valentine ran it over a rune. A glamour rune.

And then he turned into a she.

A blonde she that neither Serena nor Alec was happy to see.

"What are you doing here Lydia?" Alec asked as the lockdown was called off.

"Well, that wasn't a bad reaction time. Nice to see you Alec," she smiled. "Serena," she glared. " To answer your question, I'm the envoy from the Clave."

******************************************************************

"Maryse. The Clave has ordered me to take temporary control of this Institute," Lydia said as she waltzed in, Max hugged to Serena's side.

"Wait a minute. Nobody informed us," Maryse protested as she and Izzy walked down the stairs.

"The Clave doesn't need to. And to repeat myself, it's temporary. Nothing's been decided yet. But, I do need full clearance in order to assess how this Institute is running."

Izzy was glaring at her, recalling the last time they met while Lydia turned to Serena, Alec and Max and asked, "Where is Clary Fairchild?"

Silence blanketed the room.

"I would hope someone here knows," she said pointedly, gazing around the room before her eyes landed on Serena.

"She's in the field, training," Alec said, directing Lydia's attention towards him.

"You're telling me that she's just, out and about in the streets of New York? Valentine's daughter?" she asked as if she was talking to children.

"Isn't she also your cousin?" Izzy asked from across the room, arms folded over her chest and Serena sent her an approving smirk.

"Distant cousin," Lydia answered with a tight smile.

"She's with Jace," Alec informed.

"The same Jace Wayland that led an unsanctioned raid against the vampires? I've read reports," Lydia said as she walked through the room, head held high as if she were above everything and everyone.

"Jace may be unconventional but he is one of the best soldiers here. If he's with Clary then she's in good hands," Maryse defended and Serena's love for the woman grew.

"I hope so. And for your sake all of New York. All of your jurisdiction better be well protected."