Chapter 19

"Did you get it?" Alec asked as he, Serena and Izzy met back up with Jace and Clary who'd just run out of the station.

"Theoretically," Clary said.

"Theoretically?" Serena questioned.

"Yeah, I- I found the card. I just have to figure out how I reached into my notebook before. It's not an exact science."

"Can't you just pull it out?" Alec pushed.

"I can, theoretically. It's- it's not as easy as it looks Alec," Clary fired back.

"Look, you two can discuss theory as much as you want when we get back to the Institute. But right now, considering that we just stole from cops, I suggest we go home," Jace interrupted.

"Guys, I think the mundanes might be the least of our worries," Izzy announced as her necklace began to pulse.

"At least we know the demon necklace works," Serena smirked as Alec grabbed her hand.

"Never a dull day. Let's go!" Jace said and they were moving.

"Guys, slow down!" Clary begged as she struggled to run in heels, bumping into an old woman.

"Oh, I am so sorry," she gasped only to watch as its mouth split into four, jagged teeth along every edge as it roared at her.

"Grandma!" Jace called from behind it and the demon turned, only to be met with Jace's seraph blade as it disintegrated.

"What the hell?" Clary asked.

"Language. Not in front of grandma," Jace joked as the five regrouped.

"How did she find us?" Alec asked, his grip on Serena like steel, but not hurting her.

"I don't know, but she brought friends," Serena said worriedly as she looked around at the other police officers, whose eyes glowed blue, their disguises fading away as Serena saw their true forms.

"How can you tell?" Clary asked.

"It's like seeing through a glamour. You have to pay attention to the details. Serena's a bit more skilled at it though," Jace explained as they walked briskly.

"I can't see anything," Clary said, hair flying about.

"Behind us," Izzy warned.

Clary turned again, only to announce that she still couldn't see anything. But when she looked to the front again, she was stopped in place by Serena's arm.

"Ok, there are too many people," Clary said as she surveyed the police officers in front and behind them.

"I don't say this often, but I agree with Clary," Alec said.

"You've never said it," Serena countered before they were running as Clary guided them down a set of stairs towards a maintenance door that led to the tunnels that would lead to the Institute.

"What's the unlock rune again?" she asked holding her stele.

In unison, Jace and his twin kicked the door open.

"Open sesame," they said in sync, fist-bumping before they ran inside, Alec and Izzy rolling their eyes as they followed.

As they prepared to run into the tunnels, they then realised that Alec had stopped walking, bow and arrow drawn as he faced the way they'd came.

"What are you doing?" Jace asked.

"Holding them off. Get Clary back to the Institute," Alec ordered.

"No, if you're staying, I'm staying. We fight together," Jace protested.

"Don't be stupid. If the demons get the Cup, we're dead anyway."

"Jacey," Serena called as she placed a hand on his arm. "Go. I'll stay. You have to get her and the Cup back to the Institute."

"Rena-"

"This is not up for discussion, baby brother. Now go before I kick your ass out that door," she wrapped him in a quick hug, Jace pressing a kiss to her cheek before the trio ran off and Alec turned to his wife as she drew her swords.

"You should've gone with them."

"And left you to die? Not happening," she laughed before squealing in surprise as Alec pulled her in for a kiss.

"I love you," he said as he pulled away and drew his bow.

"Tell me that, after we make it out of here alive."