Chapter 27

"Welcome to the Seelie Glade, Clary Fairchild. The remotest edges of it," Meliorn said as they walked through the ethereal forest.

Ever since discovering who had spearheaded his rescue, Meliorn insisted that he repay Clary by helping her find her father, while Izzy had gone back to the Institute to try and cover for them. So now, Clary, Jace, Serena and Alec were being led by Meliorn through the Glade.

"How did we get here?" Clary asked.

"There are entrances all through the mundane world," Jace answered.

"You just have to know where to look," Serena added.

"Why did we have to come here to find my father?" Clary asked.

"Because of your necklace," Meliorn answered.

"Why am I not surprised that the portal it's from is in the Seelie glades, Mellie?" Serena asked the Seelie who grinned at her.

Meliorn then went on the explain that the portal shard around Clary's neck was different from normal Portals because it was from another dimension. It took you to the person you thought of rather than the place you had been.

"These trees are where the alternate dimension insects with the Seelie realm," Meliorn said.

"How is it possible that the Clave doesn't know of your dimensional doorways?" Jace asked.

"They are the most guarded secret in the Seelie realm. They are their protectors," Serena informed.

"How do you know about it?" Clary asked.

"Serena was entrusted with the secret when she saved our Queen's life. She has done many good deeds for the Seelies, one being keeping the secret of the portals from the Clave," Meliorn defended, and Serena bowed her head in thanks.

"Wow. Not bad Rena," Jace smirked, and his sister laughed.

"You'd be surprised at the number of things that I keep from the Clave."

"Why are you telling us?" Clary asked.

"Because I owe you a life debt, and I don't like being indebted to anyone," the Seelie answered.

"Except for Serena," Alec piped up.

"Sweet Little Serena, is a different case," Meliorn responded as he looked the blonde up and down, Alec glaring at him.

"What would happen if the-"

"Seelie Queen finds out he shared this with you?" Serena finished for Clary.

"He could be executed as a traitor," Alec answered.

"So, we'll be extra careful then," Jace said as he surveyed the trees.

"There is no we. My debt is to Clary and Clary alone. She goes into the portal," Meliorn said.

"She can't go alone!" Jace protested.

"And she won't," Serena said as she faced Meliorn and all eyes fell on her. "You owe me, Mellie. I'm going in with Clary."

He bowed his head. "As you wish."

Meliorn's hands released green magic as he slowly waved them around, branches moving with him.

"This other dimension. What is it like?" Alec asked, hand linked with Serena's, anxious to have to let her go.

"It is like this one...but isn't."

"Could you be more vague?" Jace sassed, joining his parabatai in their annoyed glares at the Seelie as he established a connection with the other dimension.

"It is an alternate timeline in a sense. There, Shadowhunters and demons no longer exist."

"What?" Alec asked.

"Downworlders have conformed to the mundane way of life to avoid detection," Meliorn explained as he worked.

"What happened to Shadowhunters?" Serena wondered.

"Their services were no longer required because they won the war with demons centuries ago. Once they sealed the rifts between their worlds, the culture faded away."

Meliorn took a breath.

"Once you arrive, you will assume the body of the Clary and Serena of that world. You will think and feel just like them."

"But I'll still know I'm me, right?" Clary asked.

"There's a catch. With Seelies there's always a catch," Jace said.

"Not always," Serena defended.

"The alternate versions of yourselves could consume you if you let it."

A wooden door began to partially appear in the circular space of the trees as Meliorn spoke.

"Is there a way to not let it?" Alec asked, nervous for his wife.

"You need an anchor. Something or someone that is different to that world, that grounds you to this one."

Serena turned to Alec, who already took her hands, worried for her.

"I have two. I am physically connected to my husband and my parabatai. I'm connected to Izzy and I'm connected to you, so stop worrying. I'll be ok," she said as she squeezed his hands, but Alec just cupped her face gently.

"I have to go back and cover for us and Izzy, but you come back to me, you understand? You come back."

"I promise."

And their lips met.

As they broke apart, Clary and Jace had finished convincing Meliorn to allow Jace through once they'd found the portal in the other world, because they would need as much back up as possible when they found Valentine.

Meliorn agreed as he muttered the spell that opened the thick, heavy door to reveal the red and blue coloured portal.

Alec hugged his wife one last time before Jace quickly took his turn.

"You come back to me too," Jace said to her and she smirked.

"It hurts that you doubt me JJ."

Jace couldn't help but smile at her as she faced Clary and, despite their feelings for one another, they took each other's hands before walking into the portal.