Chapter 174

Sirens rang and fires burned as a blond-haired Jonathan, reborn with even deadlier demonic powers thanks to the Seelie Queen, who was also now dead, walked along the streets of Toronto, dead bodies left in his wake.

And when Clary landed, having exited the portal Magnus made for her, she knew what had to be done and she knew that there was no turning back now.

"You took your time," Jonathan remarked, face blank but features always seeming angry.

"I'm unarmed. I just want to talk to you," Clary explained as she dared take a few steps closer to her brother.

"I knew you'd come eventually. It's kind of ironic, considering all those years I needed you, you were never there," Jonathan said, voice calm but words vicious.

"Well, I'm here for you now," Clary said. "Please just stop the killing."

"Stay back Clary, or I will end you too. I mean it," Jonathan promised through gritted teeth.

"Jonathan, you and I, we've always been connected. When you were in Edom, crying out for me, I was dreaming about you."

"You dreamt of me?" Jonathan asked, taken aback, having though his cries for his sister when Lilith tortured him had gone unheard by her for so long.

Clary took a few more slow steps towards him as tears built up in her eyes and emotion weighed down her voice.

"And when I found out that I actually had a brother, I didn't feel so alone anymore."

Her bottom lip began to quiver as she knew what happened next and her voice grew soft as she said, "I never met you, but I felt like I actually had a family. One that was different to what Jace, Izzy, Serena and Alec gave me."

Anger returned to Jonathan's eyes.

"And then you turned your back on that family. You chose Jace and Serena over me."

"I tried not to," Clary defended herself as she continued taking slow steps forward. "I wanted to believe in you, Jonathan. I did. Ever since I was a little girl, you were my boy in the tower."

The tears began to fall freely now.

"The boy that I always wanted to save but never thought I could."

Jonathan believed the words she was saying, his eyes wide with disbelief until Clary continued.
"I guess I was right," she admitted, and Jonathan was forced to look away, ashamed and tears threatening to prick at his own eyes.

"Because Jonathan you know just as much as I do that our family is our biggest source of heartbreak."

Jonathan's eyes returned to his sister as she gently laid a hand on his shoulder, then moving it up to his cheek.

"But despite anything you've done and what we've been through, or how much I want to fight it or wipe it away, I will always love you. Always."

Jonathan's lips began to quiver as his emotion-filled voice said, "I love you too, Clary."

And with her stele in her hand, Clary hugged her brother as she cried.

Hugged him one last time as he buried his head in the nape of her neck.

And her skin burned as she drew a rune onto the palm of her hand, the world turning gold as she grew white wings of her own that wrapped around Jonathan.

The boy began to panic slightly in her arms.

"Clary! Clary, you're hurting me," he said, and Clary only hugged his chest tighter as she shushed him through her tears. "Clary, you're hurting me. I can't breathe."

"It's ok. It's ok," she promised as she began to pull away and it looked as if Jonathan's skin began to crack and burn with heavenly energy.

"Let me go," he said softly as Clary helped lay him on the ground slowly.

"I am," Clary said as Jonathan lay on the street, cracks and light gone and hair returned to its red state as his eyes closed, and the life faded from him as Clary sobbed.

"Ave Atque Vale. Goodbye Jonathan. Goodbye," Clary cried as she kissed his forehead, skin already losing its warmth as she stood, hands shaking.

Hands shaking as she watched a rune on her arm disappear.

Hands shaking as she watched the angels keep their promise.

Hands shaking as she watched her life in the Shadow World begin to fade.