Chapter 136

Clary had given herself up to the Gard.

She'd taken the heat for breaking into the Cemetery of the Disgraced, sending the rest of them through a portal to Magnus.

So far, she'd been able to keep a lid on her wish and Jace's possession, letting the Clave hunt for who they thought attacked Imogen.

But Serena had been thorough, erasing all traces of her brother from the office and the cameras using her grandmother's stele that she held in her hand.

Alec had been hesitant about their plan to retrieve Jace using his strongest connection which was either him or Serena. Serena refused to let Alec do it because he could also be susceptible to Lilith's control. Serena had less of a chance to be possessed with her angel blood and the fact that she'd been protected by them.

Magnus had then offered a different solution.

Three of them go in, Serena, Jace, Alec. Though it would give them less time, it would increase their odds of finding Jace and getting through to him.

Magnus' magic coursed through them with a jolt as it connected the four Shadowhunters, Izzy, Alec and Serena's hands joined, but they didn't go anywhere as Jace said, "The warlock is right, focus is key."

And he pressed his hands to the force field surrounding him, cutting off the spell as he knocked himself out.

Izzy then went back to the Institute, retrieving a particular set of iron shackles as they packed away the Malachi Configuration and chained up Jace instead, the blonde boy smirking as he pulled on the chains.

"Oh, brave. No more box?"

"We needed the Malachi Configuration to trap you. I won't let you use it to hurt our brother," Alec said.

"And you think these can hold me?" he snarled.

Serena stood as close to him as she dared, which was pretty damn close.

"Valentine used those chains to hold Ithuriel, who is an angel, for 25 years. I'd like to see you break out of them, little brother, when you're nothing more than a lowly demon."

The chains rattled as Jace pulled on them, snarling at her as he tried and failed to reach his sister who only smirked at him.

Alec then pulled Serena back as Magnus walked into the room, rolling up his shirt sleeves.

"Let's do this," he said as the trio took their positions.

Jace genuinely looked scared as Magnus revealed his yellow cat eyes before his magic coursed through them all and they were plunged into Jace's subconscious.