Chapter 31

In the dead silence where the only sound came from Michael Wayland pulling himself to his feet, Serena was dying on the inside, torn in a million different pieces, each one a different emotion and she had no clue what to feel first.

"Dad?" Jace muttered.

"Father?" Serena whispered.

"My children," Michael said in response, as if in a dream before he pulled them both into a hug and sobs raked their bodies.

"I can't believe it," he said as they clung to the father that they hadn't seen in over a decade. "Son, you're hurt," he said as he spotted Jace's wound before placing a calloused hand each on either of their cheeks. "How did you find me?" he asked as they cried, Clary standing awkwardly to the side.

"You were dead," Serena said, the image flashing in her head.

"Valentine killed you. Valentine...Valentine's here," Jace said as he had one arm holding onto his father and the other his sister.

"No, Jace, Serena. It's me," he promised as he met both their eyes and then he saw Clary. "I'm Michael Wayland. Jace and Serena's father. I know what they told you, but I've been here for 10 years. Valentine took off and left me," he explained, still gripping onto his children for dear life.

"And Jocelyn Fairchild?" Clary asked and Serena could feel Jace grow weaker.

"He took her with him. You are?" Michael asked.

"I'm Clary, her daughter. Meliorn, the Seelie, told me that he was here with her," Clary said.

"Father, Jace is -" Serena began before he collapsed, both the older Wayland's catching him and holding him upright.

"Serena?" Michael asked for an explanation.

"Ravener venom. An iratze is holding it off but I need fresh blood to heal him," she informed as Jace said deliriously, "We have to find... your father... not mine."

"Stele?!" Michael yelled and Serena began patting down her brother's pockets, pulling out The Mortal Cup card and handing it to Clary who stashed it as Michael found Jace's stele in his back pocket.

"The rune is weak. It won't hold much longer. "

"We need a portal!" Serena yelled as her brother began to fade and the wound on his neck grew worse.

"Valentine has a standing portal. Let's go!" Michael yelled as he and Serena helped Jace walk, Clary collecting their fallen weapons.

"Jacey? JJ, stay with me!" Serena called to him trying to keep him awake.

"Do you remember our first demon fight?" Michael asked. "We were way up past the Institute, up at Kinshasa. You both were only eight, but you were so brave," Michael said proudly as they dragged Jace, whose feet weren't even worked as he tried to listen to the story and stay conscious. "Do you remember what you said? What you both said to me?"

"We were ready to die," the twins said in unison, Jace's voice barely audible.

Michael nodded. "And then I said, 'Sometimes it is as brave to live, as it is to die.' Do you remember?"

Both of them nodded, tears running down their face.

"It's true," Serena said, unsure whether she was overjoyed or disappointed. "It's really you."

"It's really you," Jace echoed, voice no more than a breath, a whisper.

Michael took one moment to press his forehead to Jace's, eyes welling with tears before he snapped out of it.

"Let's go."