Chapter 148

Once they'd returned to the Institute, they'd learned that the Morningstar Sword in Belgium was a fake. But on the plus side, when Serena went to help Izzy with her autopsy, she found a metallic data chip hidden in Greenlaw's mouth.

Serena then stayed up all night trying to decrypt it, but so far was having no luck. Whatever was on it must've been ridiculously important for it to have so many firewalls.

She walked into the cafeteria, well past when they stopped serving breakfast and sat in between her husband and brother as she began to steal food from both their plates, Clary and Izzy laughing quietly at them from the opposite side of the table.

"Get your own food, Rena!" Jace said as he grabbed her hand, throwing it back at her before she could grab at his food again.

Serena, who was clearly tired and irritated, had the most serious of looks on her face as she placed a fist on her palm.

Jace mirrored her as they counted to three.

"YES! Little brother still with the rock every time," Serena cried in victory as she pulled his tray in front of her, Jace now sulking in defeat as he crossed his hands over his chest.

"Fine. Have the bacon," Serena relented and, like a little kid, he broke into a wide grin as she passed him the saucer with the pieces of bacon on it, Alec handing over some of his bacon to his wife.

"Any luck with the data chip?" Clary asked as she watched Serena stuff her face with eggs.

"No," she mumbled, mouth half full. "Not yet. I'm trying something as we speak, but so far no luck."

"I left an algorithm on your desk to try after," Izzy said and Serena only nodded as she gulped down half a glass of orange juice.

"Baby, maybe you should get some sleep," Alec said as he noted the tiredness in her eyes.

"Sleep is for the weak. And I can't sleep when hundreds of Downworlders could be getting tortured right now and I'm one firewall away to finding out."

"You two are really twins," Clary commented and both of them gave her a look before returning to their food.

"Down to the fact where we've both died and come back to life," Serena sassed with her mouth full once again.

"Rena, the firewall will still be there, when you wake up. You need some sleep," Jace persisted. "We'll wake you up if Izzy breaches the firewall."

"No. I still gotta deal with the wolves and the vampires. Luke said to leave it till this morning until we knew Jordan was ok and I have to meet him at noon. I gotta stop them before it turns into a full-blown war."

"The algorithms are self-running, and I can even get Alec to take over. I can take your meeting with Luke. It's not a war yet and I think I can handle it," Izzy offered.

"I don't know...."

"Alright that's it," Alec said as he stood, and Serena began shaking her head madly as he moved towards her and she tried to stuff her face with as much food as possible before Alec threw her over his shoulder.

"Alec! Put me down before I kick your ass!" Serena wailed as she swallowed the last of her food, Jace, Izzy and Clary laughing as the couple walked out of the cafeteria, other Shadowhunters looking on and smiling.

"You're too tired to do that, otherwise you'd have done it before I picked you up. Now it's off to bed with you."

Serena only sighed, letting her body go limp as Alec carried her to their room, but not before smacking his ass as he walked. And Alec only smacked hers in response.