Chapter 128

They were laughing.

Maryse, Serena and Alec were bursting with laughter as they regaled the time the twins had encountered a horde of demons that used your worst fears against you, and Jace had run for his life as he screamed about ducks attacking him.

"Well, tonight has been incredible. You two are excellent hosts," Maryse praised as she wiped the moisture from her eyes.

"It was mostly Alec," Serena said with a smile, which was true.

"Really? That stew was incredible. Who knew you could cook?" Maryse said in amazement.

"I've made that for you before," Alec said and Maryse smiled nostalgically.

"Is this the stew you and Izzy made when -"

"When my mother passed," Maryse said fondly, finishing off Serena's thought. "How could I forget? Oh, the looks on your faces when you brought it to me. It still warms my heart. But that stew, I still have nightmares."

Serena giggled at her husband who looked a little hurt.

"I-I thought you loved that stew.

"Oh, I do now. Whatever you've done to the recipe, it's unrecognizable," Maryse replied.

"Magnus," Alec swore under his breath and Serena took his hand, rubbing circles with her thumb.

"It's good to see you in such happy spirits Mom," she said.

"We thought you might be upset with the divorce and everything," Alec added and Maryse's smile was pained.

"I've made my peace with that," she said, but it was clear that she was in a fair amount of pain. "But your instincts are right. I do have some unpleasant news."

The couple tensed.

"I wanted Isabelle and Jace to be here, but you need to know."

Their grips on each other's hands tightened as Maryse sighed heavily.

"In light of Malachi's coup, the Clave has reopened its investigation of former Circle members," she began.

"You had nothing to do with Malachi," Alec said with furrowed brows, not liking where this was going.

"Still. Based on a review of my actions in the Circle, the Clave has reclassified me as a traitor."

"What?" Serena asked in disbelief, eyes threatening to tear as she and Alec bolted upright.

"They're stripping me of my runes. In a few days, it'll be announced that I have been exiled from Alicante," Maryse finished and the two were gobsmacked and outraged and heartbroken.

"This is completely unjust. You've given your life to the Clave!" Alec protested. "This is total hypocrisy. What about the Pangborns, the Blackwells? Do they keep their positions?!"

"What about Robert?" Serena asked and Alec fell silent as Maryse sighed and clasped her hands together, elbows on the table.

"He was assigned to the LA Institute as part of a deal," Maryse answered.

"That is exactly my point. He gets a slap on the wrist, not exile," Alec continued.

"I'll speak with my grandmother. Surely I can convince her that -"

"Please," Maryse interrupted. "Don't make this harder than it already is."

The two sighed as Maryse stood, moving around the table to kneel between their two chairs, one of their hands in each of hers.

"My punishment is more severe because my crimes were too," Maryse began looking from each of them to the floor. "Back in the days of the Circle, I was convinced Valentine had all the answers. I recruited many good people, including your father. And together with Valentine, I orchestrated all the bloody details of the Uprising."

"But you got out," Alec said softly.

"Only after I knew we were doomed," Maryse said equally as soft as she tried not to cry. "Once I saw Valentine for who he really was, I couldn't believe what I had done. I vowed to devote the rest of my life to the Clave. But the charges against me are just."

"But it's not fair," Serena whispered, eyes watery as her lips quivered and Maryse's heart broke more.

"Oh, my darling Serena, I'm still going to be here. You're not going to lose me," Maryse promised as she let go of Serena's hand to wipe her eyes, knowing full well that this was what scared the girl the most as she'd already lost so many people.

"That's very noble of you Mom. But if you're not going to fight this thing, I will. Even if that means stepping down from the Institute," Alec spoke up but Maryse shot him down before Serena could even speak.

"No! Seeing what you both have accomplished as the Heads of the Institute, nothing has made me prouder," she said as tears leaked from her eyes. "The Clave has always had its faults. My generation nearly destroyed everything in our passion to fix it. Yours will have to be wiser. And you already are, I'm looking at the proof. Clave Envoy to Downworlders. Twenty years ago, no one would ever have dreamed up such a thing, much less fought for it as valiantly as you have."

Serena laughed despite herself and her mother smiled.

"You two have accomplished so much in your short lives and I'm still going to be here to watch whatever else you accomplish in the long run. And no matter what you do, I will always be proud of you. I will always love you."

And Alec and Serena pulled their mother into a hug.