Chapter 122

"Baby, what's wrong? I got your message," she asked as she walked into their shared office to find him pacing.

"I got offered a job in Idris, on the Council," he said as he continued to pace.

"What?" Serena asked, surprised.

"A delegate position under the new Consul, Jia Penhallow," he explained.

"Alec that's amazing! This was why you were so tense after we left Alicante, it all makes sense now," Serena smiled and Alec froze.

"You're happy about this?"

She raised an eyebrow as she moved towards him. "I mean yeah. You've been dreaming about that kind of job your entire life, moving to Idris is your dream. Why, are you not happy?" she asked softly.

"I just, it would mean moving to Idris. Leaving everything behind."

"Alec, listen to me," she said calmly as she placed her hands on his cheeks, his hands going to her waist and pulling her close. "This has been your dream for as long as I've known you. And I'm your wife, I love you and I will never stand in your way of following your dreams. And I'm going to be right by your side in Alicante. Jace and Izzy are only a portal away. And I can leave, the Downworld has stabilised immensely now that Valentine is gone. And if they need me, that's why we have portals. So, if you want to take the position, take it."

Alec still hesitated.

"I just...I don't know. It doesn't seem right leaving now. And I can't leave Jace. Something seems off with him since the night of the party at the Hunter's Moon."

"Yeah, I kind of get that feeling too. But hey, have you told anyone else about this yet?" she asked, and Alec looked at the floor.

"No. You were the first."

"Ok. So, take the day. Talk to everyone else and tell them, and then decide what you want to do."

"What about you?" he asked as he gripped her one hand and cupped her cheek with the other.

"I will be at your side no matter what you decide."

"I love you."

And he set her on his desk as he kissed her.

******************************************************************

Serena was with Magnus. Her friend had lost his position as High Warlock of Brooklyn after he'd convinced the warlocks to work with the Seelie Queen before she made a deal with Valentine and allowed him into Idris.

He refused to deal with it though, burying himself in work and seeing clients, claiming he was ok.

And while she was there, she helped console Raphael. Rosa, his sister, wasn't doing too good and it wouldn't be long now before she passed, and Raphael couldn't handle the thought. And while Serena helped save her from the rogue vampires that went after her once before, there was nothing she could do to combat old age.

Despite what happened with Izzy, Raphael was still her friend, and she would still be there for him.

And while she dealt with that, Jace, Alec and Izzy had gone to see Catarina, Magnus's warlock friend and the woman who took in Madzie, about a mundane being possessed. He'd worked in the hospital with her before killing his wife.

Clary however was with Luke as they went to look for him and wound up finding and killing the demon with her sunlight rune, saving Luke's partner who apparently knew about the Shadow world.

And it was at the end of the day, when Alec was playing pool with Serena and Magnus, trying to cheer up the warlock, he kissed his wife and made his decision.

They were staying right where they were.

After he'd announced his decision, Serena had fessed up that she didn't want to move, not yet.

Not when Jace wasn't ok.

Alec had agreed. He had gone to talk to Jace about the position in Idris when he noticed how troubled his parabatai looked, not bringing it up after that and cementing his decision not to take the position.

Magnus was elated too, glad to not be losing his favourite Shadowhunters.

And they were happy.  

For the moment.