Chapter 55

Serena was alive, but barely.

Her brain had haemorrhaged badly with the demonic force that Alec had shoved her into the wall.

His hands shook as he watched the security tape of how he and his wife had fought viciously, Serena clearly hesitating at the face of her husband trying to kill her. But she fought. She fought with everything she had to protect Jocelyn, before Alec's eyes had shone black and he rammed her head into the wall so hard you could hear the crunch of bone-breaking even on the tape.

Alec hated himself as he watched how he almost killed his wife before then killing Jocelyn, Clary standing right by his side.

The girl hadn't wanted to hear his explanations or apologies as she stormed off to find the demon.

Magnus, who'd sent Camille to the Clave in a cage, was called to help Serena as Izzy ran into the infirmary.

Both she and Jace had felt it as their sister almost died. 

Jace who had been freed from the City of Bones by Valentine, who'd escaped with the Soul sword.

But rather than go with him, Jace stayed behind to help Aldertree, the man who was going to sentence him to life in prison, but instead freed him after Jace killed the two Circle members who would've killed the Head of the New York Institute.

Alec however was a complete mess, but he was forced to pull himself together as things grew even worse and the demon possessed Izzy.

Alec had been about to die.

He was lying on his back, Izzy over him as she prepared to punch a hole through his chest.

He was ready to die.

He couldn't live with himself.

But Clary had other plans as she sent her seraph blade through Izzy's shoulder, the demon exiting Izzy before Clary sent it back to hell.

Clary was going catatonic as the realisation finally dawned on her that her mom was gone, when Jace walked in with Aldertree, Alec holding Izzy as he ran his stele over her iratze.

But before Jace could go to Clary, Simon got there first.

Jace was saddened for a second before he fell to Alec's side, hugging the boy who was in tears as he tried to keep himself together, Izzy barely awake in Alec's arms.

Alec turned to his parabatai, crying.

"I almost killed her."

Jace could do nothing but hug him, hoping that his touch offered some form of comfort before Alec took Izzy to her room and Jace went to see his twin.

Serena lay on the bed, head bandaged as the heart monitor beeped steadily.

Jace sat on the edge of her bed as he took her hand, Magnus already having left for the night.

"Hey, Rena. So, uh, I'm back. Aldertree let me go after I saved his life."

Her skin was cold as he held her hand, his other hand tracing patterns on her wrist.

"Valentine attacked the Silent City. He killed Hodge and escaped with the Soul Sword. By the Angel, I would rather relive that moment a hundred times than sitting here not knowing if you're going to wake up."

He took her hand earnestly as he looked at her face.

"You have to know that it wasn't Alec's fault. And you have to wake up and tell him that, because he's falling apart without you Rena."

He looked down.

"Jocelyn's dead. Guess we'll never know why she doesn't remember having twins, having you. Maryse and Robert are trying to get a portal home. They're worried. So are the rest of your Downworld friends. Magnus is holding onto all the fire messages for you. I'm scared."

He brought her hand to his lips.

"Rena you can't leave. I just got back. Who's going to take care of me if my big sister's gone? You're my other half, literally. You can't leave me."

Jace was filled with determination as he pulled a chair over, sitting in it as he held her hand.

"I'm not leaving you. I'm staying right here until you wake up."