Chapter 140

But Jace was gone.

Lilith had come and taken him while they were inside, Magnus not being able to stop her and Lilith only leaving them alive for fear of starting a war with Magnus' father Asmodeus.

Serena sat on Magnus' carpet, the shackles in her hand as she thought about her brother who she'd failed to save yet again.

"We'll get him back, but I'll need to call in a few favours first. My magic won't be strong enough to do that a second time. Not to mention that we'd need the High Warlock's approval for something this high scale," Magnus had explained, Serena missing the rest of the conversation as she stared off into space.

"Then that's what we'll do," Izzy said but Alec wasn't so sure.

"What if we're overcomplicating this?" he wondered.

"What do you mean, Alexander?" Magnus asked as he sipped a martini, visibly stressed.

He then crouched down in front of Serena.

"Baby, when Ithuriel told you we could save Jace, what did he say and do exactly?" Alec asked as he snapped the girl out of her daze and she turned to him, still holding the shackles in her hand.

"He, uh, he said 'you already have everything you need to save the Owl from Lilith'."

"What did he do? Did he do anything? Hold up a weapon, show you a vision, anything?" Alec quizzed and Serena's hand went to her neck.

"He touched my throat, and his hand grew warm. Then he said it."

Alec stood, pulling up Serena who had realised what he was doing.

"Serena's the key," Alec proclaimed. "She already has all the power she needs to break Jace from Lilith's control with her voice. Ithuriel said 'you have everything you need.' He wasn't talking about us, he was talking about Serena."

"I know S is strong, but is she really strong enough to break Jace free from the Queen of Hell's control?" Izzy asked.

Serena's expression was cold.

"She tortured and possessed my baby brother and she killed me. That bitch won't know what's coming to her."