Chapter 73

As if things couldn't go down the drain even more, after leaving Izzy and returning to the Institute, Jace called.

Clary was alive and they fulfilled the blood oath, but Valentine had her and he was trying to use her to activate the Soul Sword.

But no one was there to help because Valentine had released Downworlders on Manhattan, the results of his demonic experiments, making them savage and inhuman.

Something Serena identified from the surveillance feeds as she stood helping Alec manage assignments, assignments issued by Aldertree who both Serena and Alec wanted to kill.

He was hiding in his office pretending to have paperwork to do; the same office that Raphael claimed he gave Izzy yin fen.

They'd managed to gather a small group of Shadowhunters to help look for Clary and were giving them instructions when Aldertree decided to join the party.

Oh, how Serena had been waiting for this.

"The initial attacks were in South Brooklyn, so we're gonna focus our search there and then move outward," Alec ordered.

"Remember, whatever happens, our priority is to locate Clary," Serena reiterated as the group began to move out.

"Disregard that order," Aldertree ordered as he came down onto the floor. "What the hell do you think you're doing?"

"Ignore him. You have your missions," Serena countered to the Shadowhunters who she indicated to leave as Alec said, "Stopping Valentine from destroying the Downworld.

"And yet from the look of things, it's the Downworld that's trying to destroy us," Aldertree responded, and the couple grinned.

"Untrue. The things out there attacking mundanes are Valentine's experiments. Downworlders he's kidnapped over the years and injected with demon blood. Something you'd know if you ever left that office that isn't actually yours," Serena said cockily to him.

"Look we don't have time to argue. Either help us or get out of our way," Alec threatened.

"Or you'll what?"

If it wasn't proven that Serena had angel blood, you would've believed she had demon blood from the demonically evil smile on her face.

"Supplying yin fen to a subordinate, for starters. An ex-field medic should know better," Alec whispered with a grin.

"And who do you think will believe this ridiculous accusation?" Aldertree asked.

"Well, Idris loves gossip, not to mention, I think they'll believe this," Serena smirked as she pulled out a magical compact mirror Magnus gave her, opening it.

"You may have turned off the security cameras for your little meeting with Raphael, but being a Shadowhunter, you can't erase memories now, can you?"

Aldertree's eyes widened as he saw himself, pressing the button that guided the laser beam of concentrated UV rays onto Raphael's skin, watching the scene from the vampire's point of view, the memory of the event having being extracted from his mind by Magnus and placed into the mirror.

When he tried to grab it, she snapped it shut and tucked it into her bra, before her smile fell into a truly threatening look.

"From now on, Alec and I call the shots."

Alec moved closer to him.

"Don't ever threaten my family, or my friends again."

Alec then clapped him on the shoulder with a smirk before walking off.

"I wish I could say that it was a pleasure doing business with you, but, unlike you, my mother taught me not to lie," Serena smirked before spinning on her heel and following her husband.

She may not have gotten to hit him, but damn that still felt good.