Chapter 118

The Asmodei demons had vanished. There was no sign of them in the air or on the ground. Which didn't make sense as once they were in their world, the demons were here to stay until they were properly banished.

But one of Serena's worst fears were coming true as her right knee began to click and then Alec collapsed onto the floor of the Institute.

"Alec? Alec!" Serena exclaimed worriedly as she crashed to his side, her husband yelling out in pain.

"Jace..." he groaned as Serena held him and she lifted his shirt to see his parabatai rune fading.

"No! No!" Serena cried as she held him, Izzy and Magnus completely heartbroken at the scene.

Tears were streaming down her face as Alec writhed at screamed in her arms and she began to hum.

It was the saddened melody Jace had played for her on the piano. And it seemed sadder now as she hummed it, the harmony entwined with the sound of Serena's sobs. Her voice calmed Alec and numbing his pain, but it was still there. No matter how much power the angels gave her, she couldn't stop Alec from feeling it as his soul was ripped in two.

Serena's cheek was pressed to Alec's head as she cried, still humming as she held him, trying to ease his pain and then his screams stopped, and his rune faded completely.

"I... I can't feel him," Alec said and Serena cried harder as she held Alec, Izzy on her knees next to her.

And then he said the words she never ever wanted to hear.

"He's dead. "

And Serena's singing stopped as Izzy held her brother, the blonde being coaxed into Magnus's arms, her cries of raw agony as she too lost her other half.

And then all of a sudden, she stopped.

All of them were confused as Serena stood, an image burning through her mind.

She took out her stele as the angels allowed her, just this once, to draw a rune. To draw the portal rune that pierced the wards of both the Institute and Idris.

And the rest of them were on their feet as they followed the girl with a tear-stained face through the portal and into the City of Glass.