Chapter 153

"Hopefully she won't have to," Izzy said as she and Serena came around the corner in the catacomb of cells under the Institute to find Jace and Clary together, their hands connected.

"Izzy explained to me what Lilith said about Heavenly Fire, remember?" Serena asked her twin, having cooled down after the whole summoning Lilith incident, largely thanks to Alec.

"Yeah, it's what gave Michael's sword the power to purge demon energy," Jace answered.

"What about it?" Clary asked.

"The sentry who was killed, he said the words "Heavenly Fire" in Latin before he died," Izzy explained. "Alec, Serena and I asked Mom about it and apparently, it's the name of an off-the-books Clave program."

"You think someone at the Clave knows about Glorious?" Clary questioned.

"It's possible," Serena said. "But we were looking into Downworlder torture when this came up. If the Clave knows about Glorious or even has pieces of it, it can't be for anything good. Grandma doesn't even know about it. She said it was a program commissioned by the Inquisitor before her and she thought it was shut down. She's looking into it right now."

Jace sighed. "Well, at least we can trust her."

The rest of them nodded as Serena pulled Clary's hand from Jace's and into hers.

"Don't worry, Red, we'll get you free from him. Ok? I promise."

And Clary hugged her.