Chapter 156

Serena begged to switch places with Izzy, not wanting her sister to have to sit and dine and laugh with the man who caused her so much grief and trauma and pain, but Izzy insisted that Aldertree would be more likely to meet with her. So, she went to dinner with him while Serena broke into his office.

And when Izzy got out, the news Serena had discovered was dire.

"All the Downworld prisoners are having their powers taken away, their traits. Werewolves, vampires, warlocks, Seelies, all of them. Injecting them with heavenly fire turns them mundane," the blonde explained.

"So, the Clave has had Glorious all along?"

Serena shook her head.

"Just a fragment of the sword, but large enough to create a serum."

"This is the Clave's perverted way of rehabilitating their prisoners?" Izzy asked in disbelief.

"It's just Aldertree. Not the Clave, or else my grandma and Jia would've known. And Izzy, it gets worse."

Izzy was on the verge of a heart attack. How much worse could it get?

"How?" she questioned.

"Aldertree is planning on using the serum beyond the prison population. He has a plan to slip it into the water supply in New York City as a trial run for worldwide disbursement."

"So, all Downworlders get cured whether they like it or not. And there's no telling what it would do to the mundanes."

"Well, it's not going to happen so long as I have anything to say about it. I have copies of his files. I'll send it to my grandmother, and she can issue an order for his arrest," Serena assured her and Izzy could breathe a little better.

"Do you have the location?"

"Yeah, I have the coordinates. Call Alec and arrange for backup, I'll send this to my grandma and have the arrest order issued and then we can go get Simon and Raphael."

Izzy nodded, but the second she got off the phone with her brother, Aldertree appeared.

"Isabelle, you never said goodbye," he hummed with a smile before his eyes landed on Serena. "And of course you're here, Mrs Lightwood."

Serena smirked. "You never were very good at keeping track of me."

"After the years of work I put into this project, I won't let you two and Simon Lewis ruin it."

"So, what are you going to do? Have us killed like you did Sentry Greenlaw?" Izzy sassed.

Aldertree moved closer to them. "Join me, both of you. Be part of the revolution."

Serena couldn't believe the words he'd just uttered. Truly the words of a mad man.

"You're delusional," Izzy voiced.

"The world will be a safer place once it's free from demon blood. Without the Downworld, we can focus on protecting the mundanes from demons, like we were always meant to do. No one will ever be poisoned with the abomination that is demon blood."

"Last I checked, you were the one who poisoned Izzy with it! And stripping the Downworld of who they are without their consent will only insight chaos!" Serena fired back and Aldertree was forced to take two steps back.

"If I could go back to that moment and cured Eva, the werewolf that I fell in love with, I would still be holding her in my arms today."

"Yeah, well this fantasy of yours is not the answer," Izzy retorted as she stood next to her parabatai.

"Oh, it's no longer a fantasy."

"Then it'll be nothing more than a memory when I'm through with it. I won't let you become the next Valentine," Serena spat at him as she went to turn away, and he grabbed her arm.

Serena's smile could not have been bigger as she turned back to face him.

"Oh, I'm going to enjoy this."

His nose broke on impact with her fist before she twisted her arm out of his grip and kneed him in the stomach before ducking behind him and kicking him towards Izzy, who painfully sent him to the ground as Serena caught a fire message.

"Victor Aldertree, by the order of High Inquisitor Herondale and Consul Penhallow, you're under arrest," Serena smiled before the High Inquisitor herself walked out, flanked by her guard team and several other Shadowhunters that hauled him to his feet.

"Victor Aldertree, for your severe treasonous crimes against the Accords and the Clave, you are hereby sentenced to death," Imogen announced and Victor looked horrified as he was dragged away.

Serena faced her grandmother.

"Thank you, Grandma," she smiled as she hugged the older Shadowhunter.

"Thank you, Serena. You and your team not only saved the Clave, but saved every Downworlder in the world. I couldn't be prouder of you,' she said as she cupped her granddaughter's cheek.

"Thank you, Grandma, and I'd love to stay, but we kind of have to go and rescue all the Downworlders Victor imprisoned," she said, and Imogen kissed her forehead.

"Tell your brother I said hello and be safe, my girl. You as well, Isabelle."

The raven smiled in thanks at the older woman before the two girls linked hands and were off.