Chapter 162

Chapter 162

Weeks go by, and Loren diminishes, into a person no one knows. Thomas can't even bare to look at his mother seeing what she has become. His heart breaks each time he goes to see her, just trying not to show it, or let on. Thomas doesn't even go home, anymore, she just stays at his parent's home knowing the time is close.

Alana visits him after work, checking in on him, then heading home to take care of the house and Lucia. They barely see each other but when they do, she tries to be there for him.

"I know you love your mother, son, you been wonderful through all of this, but I think you should go home. Your family needs you as well." Sr. says.

"I can't, I know it's close and I want to be here. I want to say goodbye. Alana is taking care of our family for now." Thomas answers.

"Your marriage is on track, don't let this ruin it. Your mother wants you to be happy, and so do I. I know everything you went through to keep this marriage alive." Sr. states.

"Since when do you care?" Thomas replies.

"I always cared, I just hated to see you hurt. I know everything you went through, it wasn't fun. You know I may be frank with my words but I care." Thomas answers.

"Yes, I do. I'm sorry. I am just under a lot of stress. This will be over soon and then I will go home. I have plenty of time for my family. She isn't going anywhere. For the first time in a long time I know that is true." Thomas comments.

"I am glad you finally feel that way. "Sr. says.

"What are you going to do after mom passes?" Thomas asks.

"The same I did when she was here. This is my home, I am staying here, I do not mind living alone. She left me alone for years, I guess that was a good thing so now I am used to it. I will see my friend, and just live life as I have been. There isn't much for me to do son." Sr. answers.

"Are you going to marry her?" Thomas asks.

"Ha, No. Marriage isn't for me. I am not good at it, nor do I want to be. I think I am a better boyfriend. We see each other and I go home. I will never get married again. I will enjoy the freedom. I will miss your mother though, we spent a lot of years together. Even when you fight, you still care. Marriage is hard, you know that better than all of us." Sr. Responds.

"I hope you don't take your girlfriend here, this is mom's house," Thomas says.

"No, I wouldn't do that, not to live. If we do live together we will figure something out. For now, it's just seeing each other." Sr. reveals.

"Good, I don't want you to be alone, I know that's not realistic I just don't want her here. It will all take a lot of getting used to." Thomas admits.

"Trust me, I know. " Sr. answers.

Thomas stays like he has been, sitting next to his mother at night, reading to her, and talking to her. Watching her fade away. He knows the time has come for the nurse to up the morphine and it's just a matter of hours before she is gone.

Thomas, his sister, and his father sit by her bedside and spend the last few hours with her. Even Sr. feeling bad and at the same time not able to wait for this to be over. Not only for himself so he can move on, but for Loren so she can finally have the peace she needs. He knew this was hard on her as well, and the pain she suffered was awful. It was time for everyone just to let go and make peace.

As the night progresses, Loren lets go. Thomas feels empty and cold inside. Not even able to come to say his mother is gone. The nurse takes care of getting the body out of the house. As the family pretty much goes their separate ways.

"Dad I am going home, the funeral arrangements are already done." Nicole states.

"Thank you for everything. I am going to the spare room and get some sleep." Sr. answers.

"I'm going home. " Thomas replies.

"Did you call your wife Thomas and let her know?" Sr. asks.

"No, I will tell her when I get home." Thomas answers.

"Ok." Sr. responds going to his room.

The house quiet, and peaceful. Sr. had his home back, just he couldn't go into his bedroom, there were memories of her everywhere. He made the spare room his bedroom now, he thought this would be easy, just in a way it wasn't.

When she went to their daughter's home to stay, he knew where she was, that she was ok. Mostly that she would return. Now was different, she would never return again. It was over for good, and in many ways, he felt bad.