Chapter 174

Chapter 174

Tom and Alana work together daily. Alana has seen a huge change in him, a good one for that matter. Tom has always been about work and pretty much nothing else. Now Alana sees he is on the phone and smiling a lot.

It just reminds her of years ago, how she and Luke would spend hours talking. How the time just slipped away, hour after hour, and they could still find things to tell each other. She just smiles at the memory, knowing at least once she had something unforgettable.

"Tom, is there something your hiding from me?" Alana says with a smile.

"Mom, of course not. Why you say that?" Tom answers.

"I have been watching you lately, your so different. I see a lightness about you. Is there someone special in your life?" Alana asks.

"I can't ever get anything past you can I?" Tom laughs

"Nope, it's part of being a mom. So spill it." Alana replies.

"I have met someone, she is so funny and alive. It's just wonderful being around her." Tom admits.

"That's wonderful, how long has this been going on?" Alana says.

"Around seven months." Tom answers.

"Wow, ok that is longer than I thought. How did you meet her? Why are you keeping her a secret?" Alana asks.

"I met her, at the animal hospital. She is studying to be a vet tech. We just clicked soon as we met." Tom comments.

"Ok, so why haven't we heard about her sooner?" Alana responds.

"First I wasn't sure about it. I mean I liked her a lot but there was something stopping me from asking her out. She just wouldn't stop flirting with me though and it has grown a lot." Tom admits.

"Yea a woman that likes you doesn't give up. So what was stopping you? I meant come on Tom you are 36 you should be getting serious about someone. I am sure you want to have a family." Alana replies.

"I do, but she is a bit younger than me, so I wasn't sure if we would get along. Or have the same interests. I didn't want to say something and it flopped before it started." Tom comments.

"Your father and I have an age difference, it's not the end of the world. She seems to have her head on straight, she knows what she wants to be. I think it's great and if she makes you this happy, go for it." Alana answers.

"Thanks, mom, I knew you would understand," Tom says.

"No problem. What is her name?" Alana asks.

"Her name is Billie. I know it sounds weird for a girl but her father loved Billie Joel, so they named her that." Tom laughs.

Alana laughs. "To each his own. I think it's cute." Have you met her parents?" Alana adds.

"No, not yet, we may let you all meet each other at once. We will see, I will let you know." Tom states.

"Ok. I will be sure to let your father know. He will be very happy. He wants you to have your own family." Alana replies.

"Yea I know, but please we are just dating. There is nothing major at the moment." Tom laughs.

"I know, it's just nice to know you're making a go of this. " Alana states.

"Ok, mom," Tom replies.

They go back to work and Alana just thinks this is great. Her son met someone he likes. Maybe the family would grow, maybe she would get grandchildren. Many thoughts go through her mind and most are happy ones.

She thinks about the age difference and realizes she never asked how different. If it was like her and Thomas in the end it wasn't age that screwed them up, but how Thomas thought. She also thinks Luke was close to her age and they did see things more eye to eye. She just stops herself knowing there is no sense in looking back.

This wasn't her relationship it was her sons. Let him do what he needs to do. She just hopes he doesn't regret it as she does in the end. Then everyone has to go through, what they need to grow and learn. It's just part of life. We make mistakes and pick ourselves up. She knew she made a few, some very big ones at that.