Chapter twenty five

Chapter 25

Robert takes a seat with the men, watching tv. Thomas Sr. acting as if he isn't there. Not really fond of him, but knowing his daughter is insisting on being with him. Robert really hasn't done anything for Nicole's parents to treat him this way. It was just the way they were. It wasn't new.

"So son, you never told me how it went with the wife. You were going to talk to her? I see she is here this weekend, so you talked some sense into her?" Sr. Says.

"Not really, I did have a talk with her, it went south. Like all our talks seem to go lately. I asked about having another child, she said no, I asked her to come back to our bedroom, she said no. Pretty much anything I asked she said no. She still isn't talking to me now, we had another big fight last night when I asked her to come here, but at least she did." Thomas admits.

"Something isn't right son, she was never this way with you before. What was her reasoning for not wanting another child?" Sr. asks.

"That she wants her career and I wasn't there when Tommy was little, she doesn't want to raise another alone. She never sees all that I do, do. Only when I am not there. I know I missed a lot, but I have gotten better as he got older. I know something is up, she is holding resentment and she was so full of anger. I know she isn't over that night at the hotel either, she just won't go into that." Thomas answers.

"Maybe she just needs some space, to let some things go," Robert suggests.

"I was thinking that. I just hope she lets it go. I would like things to go back to normal. There is so much tension between us lately. She barely talks to me, and she doesn't want to be around me." Thomas says.

"I know I don't know the whole situation, but is there someone else?" Robert asks.

"I thought there might be, but she doesn't leave the house once she is home. When she goes out she is in her vet scrubs, nothing different or fancy. So I don't think there is, I just think she is mad at me. Or maybe it's just a mid-life crisis thing." Thomas admits.

"Yea, you know these women at a certain age, they get older and want all kinds of things they didn't when they were younger. She will be fine." Sr. comments.

"I am hoping your right. We never have had a fight like this, I mean we have little ones, and she gets mad, but this time is different. She is holding a grudge." Thomas Replies.

"They all do, it will pass." Sr. Responds.

While they are sitting there Loren comes in stating dinner is ready. The men get up heading to the dinner table, Nicole coming down from the bathroom, they all sit down to eat their meal.

"It's nice to have both my children here this Sunday. You should do it more often." Loren states.

"You always have Thomas here, you should be happy with that, he can handle you two. More than I can." Nicole grunts.

"You wanted to tell us something, it's why you said you were coming here today? You know we love hearing good news from you." Loren says.

"Yes, but this isn't going to be good news to you, and frankly I don't give a damn. Robert and I are getting married." Nicole blurts out.

Both her parents just look at each other, not saying a word. The room is silent, its very awkward. Alana just looks around the table and feels someone needs to break the silence.

"Congratulations to both of you," Alana says.

"Thank you so much, at least someone here has some respect." Nicole answers.

"So when is the big day?" Thomas asks.

"In a few months, we are not waiting there is no point." Nicole comments.

"That's wonderful, I can't wait for the wedding," Alana responds.

"Are you pregnant, is that whats this is all about?" Sr. Says.

"No, daddy, believe it or not, Robert wants to get married without that." Nicole answers.

"Then what the hell is the rush?" Sr asks.

"I am not a baby dad. We want to have children, we already live together and things a great, so this is just the next step." Nicole says.

"What church is going to marry you, in just a few months?" Loren asks.

"That really doesn't concern me, since we are not getting married in church." Nicole answers.

Her mother just looks at her in shock and confusion.

"What do you mean?" Loren asks.

"We are having a beach wedding down the shore. We want it light and airy. Nothing traditional. " Nicole explains.

"I see, you were raised to get married in church. I don't understand all this Nicole." Loren comments.

"You don't need to, you just need to be happy for us." Nicole answers.

Neither of her parents answers her. First, they didn't approve of Robert, this didn't make things any easier. She was totally not doing anything they wanted her to.

Thomas Sr. just looks at both his children, in discuss. Neither of their marriages was a good thing. Thomas Jr. was falling apart, and Nicole's was a mess before it started.

They all keep there calm and tried to remain peaceful even though some things were said. Thomas Jr. tries to change the subject to make the rest of the dinner go peaceful. For him, he didn't care who his sister married. It was her choice. He had his own problems to deal with. If she was happy, he was happy. He just wished his parents would feel the same.

He knew all these years, how they treated Alana, all they said about her. It was just the way they were, Thomas Jr. was used to them, so he let it go. Where his sister couldn't hold back. This was sure to be a fun wedding. Thomas says in the back of his mind with sarcasm.