Chapter 40: The Uchiha Prodigy [Shippuden]

**Authors note:

Laptop screen is still down but I have the chance to post this haha so here we go!

This is sad and I'd like to say it gets better but we have a few emotional chapters to run through before it gets better. 

Enjoy and please commnet!

**

Shikamaru

Rin hit the ground the moment Hidan drew back the staff. I felt my heart thumping against my chest as I tried to move closer. Both she and Asuma were deathly still. Hidan sighed as he retracted his staff.

“Pitty, her blood is too mixed with my own”

“Asuma, Rin!” Asuma still didn’t move but I noticed Rin turn her head towards me. She slowly reached out a hand and grimaced when Hidan stepped on her wrist.

“You’re going to pay for this!” I shouted, but just as I was going to try to get up again black feathers began to fall around us. I did the sign for a genjutsu thinking it may have been Itachi but stopped when crows began to attack. Itachi’s genjutsu, I assumed was similar to Rin’s and revolved around Raven’s rather than crows.

“Do you really think you can beat me with a flock of crows!?” Hidan shouted.

“A pitiful attempt at a diversion” Kakuzu muttered, but was forced to drop Kotetsu and Izumo when a black sword nearly pierced through his face. I looked up just as Choji grabbed Asuma but failed to take Rin.

“Don’t worry Shikamaru, we’re here to help” I was surprised to see Jazmine but pushed her aside.

“Get Rin!”

“Shikamaru…”

“Do it now!” The urgency in my voice is what pushed her. She ran forward as I forced myself to stand and I only followed when Jazmine had Rin in her arms. I somehow found the energy to jump to the roof with the others. Jazmine laid Rin down before she ran to Asuma. I dropped beside him and listened for a heartbeat. It took a while but somehow there it was, faint but still beating.

“He’s alive” I breathed.

“Choji you’ve got rush him to the leaf hospital. Ino and Jazmine go with him and use your medical ninjutsu to buy as much time as you can” I ordered.

“We’re on it” Jazmine confirmed.

“I’m not giving up my bounty” I turned as Kakuzu landed on the building.

“That’s e-enough Kakuzu” I stared wide eyed as Rin managed to step in front of us. She gripped her shoulder with one hand, blood staining her fingers.

“What are you going to do stop me?” I stared as black marks spread over Rin’s skin. I felt a chill down my spine as she began hand signs.

“I have nothing to lose now, you should be afraid” She threatened as dark chakra started swirling around her hands.

“Dark Wall jutsu” The shadows didn’t pull like they normally did, instead the dark chakra expelled from her hands creating a think wall of what looked like black smoke between us and Kakuzu.

“Try to get through that”

Rin

Releasing the curse mark was always a last resort, but it did relieve some of the pain in the shoulder Hidan had stabbed through. If dark chakra ate away at your life span then this did it twice as fast, but right now my only concern was protecting Shikamaru. I thought Kakuzu was actually going to go for it, or Hidan would get up here and try his hand. He looked ready to fight until a voice echoed in my head.