Chapter 76: The Uchiha Prodigy [Shippuden]

**Authors Note: 

So this is kind of the hint towards and soft start  to the Pein attack arc and next chapter we will be heading in full force! I will post the episode we will be starting it with the next authors note as well! :) 

I will also be getting the poll for who Rin will end up with, up and running soon! So look forward to that. :D 

Now please comment, vote and of course enjoy!

**

Kakashi

Rin was usually on time, and I was usually late which is probably why she was actually late for once because I decided to be on time. I glanced up from my book as an ANBU appeared on the field. I raised an eyebrow as I looked her over, already knowing it was Rin under that mask.

"Your arm guards aren't fastened right" I pointed out and she sighed pushing her mask to the side.

"I slept in" She admitted.

"You're managing to sleep again, that's good. Living with the Nara's has benefited you" I noted as I walked towards her.

"A lot of things have" She replied as I slipped my book into my back pocket.

"Here" I offered and she held out her arms allowing me to fix the straps.

"Other than this small mistake you look great, the uniform really suits you" I complimented and I was relieved when she smiled. It's been a long time since I've seen that smile.

"Thanks Kakashi" I smiled in return and stepped back giving her space. I haven't seen her since she left my apartment, but she was looking better. Her skin was getting it's glow back, even her eyes looked less dull.

"So what are we starting with?" She asked. Lady Tsunade requested that I aid Rin in getting back on her feet. To train her again, but it's been years. I didn't really know what I had left to teach her.

"First, I actually wanted to give you something" I started and offered her a package wrapped in cloth. She opened it carefully and let the cloth drop leaving her with her katana.

"How did you....?"

"Where the final battle took place" I replied and she nodded slightly.

"Thank you Kakashi, really, th-this blade means a lot to me." She said slowly and pressed her lips together.

"Itachi gave it to you, didn't he?" I realized and she nodded slightly. I expected her to cry, to shut down all over again but instead she released a slow breath and slid the katana into her belt. I smiled slightly, that was the Rin I knew.

"I thought we would start with some warm-ups, get your muscles working again and get you used to the weight of your new uniform. It's a few pieces more than what your used to and fighting in a mask can make quite the difference" I explained, pausing only when I noticed her gaze cast to the ground.

"Before we start I need to tell you something, at least that way you'll hear it from me." She said quickly and I nodded.

"Is everything alright?" I asked and she shrugged.

"I-I guess, it's just..." She paused before releasing another slow breath.

"Shikamaru and I have started dating" She said cautiously and it fell silent between us. I stared at her but she stared at the ground.

"I-Is this because of what happened with the ANBU?" I asked and she shook her head.

"No, no Kakashi it's not that I swear. I know you couldn't have stopped anything; it was just the wrong time for me to hear that. I don't blame you" She promised.