Chapter 75: The Uchiha Prodigy [Shippuden]

**Authors Note: 

So I will be compiling all the stories Rin is featured in and put in my sneak peaks and bonuses! 

Also I'm hoping to get back into the actual story next chapter so we can get going with the Pein Attack arc. :) 

Finally please comment, vote and enjoy! 

**

Rin

Living with the Nara's was somewhat unsettling. I knew they meant well and I was grateful for their hospitality but the constant checking in was a little unnerving. I wasn't exactly used to the family atmosphere. Shikamaru's mother was loud, but I guess with Shikamaru as your son you needed to be loud just to wake him up. His father on the other hand was quiet, calm and most of the time relaxed. I could see it in his eyes though, years as a ninja had also hardened this man.

"Rin" I glanced up from my plate, I hadn't touched my food. Eating still made me nauseous. I looked at Shikamaru's mother, Yoshino. I  didn't realize she had been speaking to me before, but there was only patience in her eyes.

"You should eat, you'll need your strength for your first day back in the field" She advised and I attempted to smile.

"Thank you for your concern but..." I paused. I wasn't really sure what my excuse was. I just wasn't hungry. I felt tired, all the time and I didn't do much but lay in bed. I wanted to train, I wanted to get back into the swing of things but getting past the loss of Itachi was proving difficult. I've never lived in a world where he wasn't there, and it was hard to imagine continuing without him. To be honest I didn't know how to continue without him.

"So..." Shikaku started, changing the subject.

"You'll be starting with the ANBU soon" He noted and I nodded slightly.

"I'm sure you'll excel, you always have and they could use someone like you in their ranks. A true prodigy" The words echoed in my head, and I recalled the last conversation I had with my Father. That day he asked me to promise to protect Sasuke and Itachi.

"Because I want you to be better. You are my daughter and you hold the potential to be the true Uchiha prodigy." I could hear his tone, the way his words always sounded so confident and powerful. I pressed my lips together and glanced up when I felt a hand on my shoulder. I quickly wiped the tears that dripped down my cheeks.

"Rin" I looked at Shikamaru and cleared my throat. I stood quickly nearly knocking over my chair in the process and managed a short bow.

"Please excuse me"

Shikaku

I wanted to say Rin had started to settle but I knew she was struggling. I remember her admiration from her youth, the way she was always trailed alongside her eldest brother when she was just a child. I knew the loss of Itachi shook her to her core. She ate only when my wife was persistent and her sleeping was scattered if existent at all. Nightmares kept her awake and made her dark chakra flare, Shikamaru had already been subjected to the burn of it in an attempt to wake her from one of these dreams. I knew she felt terrible.

"Please excuse me" Rin's voice wavered when she spoke. Shikamaru was quick to rise as she left the room, I heard the door leading towards the forest open and close.

"Excuse me" Shikamaru said quickly but I raised my hand stopping him.

"Dad, Rin..."

"I know" I replied.

"Let me talk to her" I insisted. I could see his surprise and his reluctance but slowly he sat back down. I smiled at Yoshino when she touched my hand, a small gesture to say good luck. I excused myself from the table and stepped out to follow Rin. The sun was setting, casting long shadows as I walked towards the forest. A deer was there to greet me and I smiled slightly.