Chapter 20: The Uchiha Prodigy [Shippuden]

**Authors Note: Hey guys! Here's some cute-esk GaaraXRin time. Don't worry we'll be returning it into the story very soon haha just planning it out but I hope you enjoy all this too! :D Also big thanks to Destinymewtwo for the wonderful cover page! :D**

Rin

Gaara was capable of listening with such intensity that it made me uneasy and nervous. I was explaining what had happened with Madara from the same day I left him to the days after with Hidan. The look on his face was calm as he listened to but I could see it in his eyes, the boiling anger that he withheld with ease and for the first time I felt like what they did was wrong. I mean before it was just a part of being a reckless Akatsuki member, I guess I had gotten used to it.

"Rin?" I flinched slightly when Gaara touched my cheek and realized that a tear had fallen. I quickly wiped my eyes and took a deep breath calming myself. I am fearless, I am strong, and I am an Uchiha I reminded myself.

"I'm fine" I finally said with a smile but I could tell he wasn't convinced.

"You can't go back there," He said firmly and I sighed as I crossed my legs on the bed.

"They'll come after me, Madara's made it very clear that he'll do anything to keep me and I'm not putting you or your village in danger." I replied with just as much strength in my tone.

"You can't expect me to let you go back there." I sighed again and ran a hand through my hair before shrugging.

"I do Gaara, it's part of my life and I just, I can't give up the Akatsuki. I have things I need to accomplish and people I need to keep an eye on." He sighed lightly.

"Who are you so determined to protect?" I looked up at him slightly confused at first but released a sigh.

"It's not important" I noticed him frown slightly.

"If you're willing to abandon everything for a life like this it would have to be for something important to you."

"I just, I don't want to talk about it." He caught my hand when I stood up.

"Why?" I sighed as he laced his fingers with mine.

"I need something to hold onto, something that only I know. It's the only thing that keeps me going and to accomplish what I need to I need that sense of independence to always be with me. I need to know that when the time comes I can stand on my own." I explained. It was silent for a moment until I felt him stand. I thought he was going to walk away until his lips pressed gently against my cheek.

"I understand, I don't like it but I understand" I smiled slightly.

"Thank you Gaara" He smiled slightly as he bent down and pressed his lips carefully against mine before standing straight again.

"Oh by the way I was meaning to ask you, is there anyone named Sai in your village?" I noticed the confusion cross his eyes as he pondered my question.

"One comes to mind, why?"

"I have to track down and kill some ninja named Sai. I conveniently started my search here, would you mind if I killed him?" He gave me a blank stare before he sighed.

"He's four" I laughed slightly.

"Never mind then unless he's some prodigy?" Gaara shrugged.

"No, I think he's the son of a carpenter." I sighed but shrugged.

"Well, that was easy."

"Is that how you normally find your target?" I laughed.

"No, usually I have more information than a name but I've become pretty good at breaking into places. Normally I'd search the village archives." I explained with a shrug.