Chapter 61

"Get the hell up and get dressed," Serena ordered as she barged into Jace's room at Magnus's house.

He wasn't the most courteous roommate and Magnus had sent a portal for Serena to come and get him as the Institute sent out a mission alert and Jace hadn't responded.

She'd already had a strange morning. A killer headache had come out of nowhere along with an ear-piercing, high-pitched ringing in her ears that sounded kind of like a scream.

And now here she was walking into her brother's room as he was in bed with a woman, a Seelie by the looks of her ears and the tattoos on her face.

Safe to say that her morning had not gotten off to a brilliant start.

"Who's this bitch?" the girl asked jealously, and Serena scowled at her as she scooped up Jace's clothes.

"I'm his sister, bitch. Get up Jace, we have orders."

"I'm a little tied up," Jace said.

"Not yet you're not," the girl drawled in a low voice.

"Can I have a minute with my brother?"

The girl scowled at Serena as she held the bed sheet to her chest before striding out the door, Jace watching her leave.

Serena threw his clothes at him, snapping him out of it as she crossed her arms over her chest.

"This is your solution? Hiding out at Magnus'?"

"I wouldn't exactly call this hiding," Jace said as he tugged on his pants.

"Very funny little brother, but you do still have obligations."

"Obligations. Aldertree wanted me gone and I'm gone."

"So, you got demoted. So what? Work your way back up. Just because you don't live at the Institute anymore doesn't mean that you stop being a Shadowhunter."

"You don't understand," Jace said, waving her off.

"Oh yeah? Then tell me. Whatever it is, it can't be that bad."

Jace didn't answer her.

"So, you're just going to turn your back on us? On Alec? On Izzy? On me? On Clary?"

"I told you I'm not discussing Clary," Jace said pointing a finger at Serena.

"She's family. She's our sister."

"I don't need a reminder," Jace said standing and Serena stood toe-to-toe with him.

"Why? Because you're still in love with her?"

Jace's jaw tensed as they stood close.

"News flash, little brother! Moping and sleeping around with Seelies is not going to make those feelings go away. So, stop feeling sorry for yourself, get off your ass, and get back to work. Because this Jace standing in front of me right now, he's not my brother, he's not my JJ. And he's not the Jace that Clary would want."

Jace only took a few steps back, refusing to look at his twin as her somewhat harsh but true words washed over him.

"You should probably go. We wouldn't want you getting benched either," he said, and Serena sighed as she pinched the bridge of her nose.

"I really just don't know what to do with you sometimes."

And she turned for the door as she threw over her shoulder, "I'll see you later once you pull your head out of your ass."