Chapter 63

"Valentine needs lightning to activate the Soul-Sword, he probably put Ithuriel up on the rooftop," Serena said as she climbed stairs with Jace and Clary.

"Ithuriel? How did you know its name?" Clary asked.

"Heard it in his screams."

"Cleophas could've been lying," Jace questioned, and Serena stopped him dead in his tracks.

"Then tell me what the hell else is screaming in my head if not an angel's cries? Why only Clary and I can hear it?"

"Jace trust us," Clary said and he nodded as they climbed the last few stairs before walking out a door onto the roof to face the four Shadowhunters that stood before an elderly man in chains. Ithuriel.

Serena drew her swords as Jace drew his blade as they attacked.

As Jace was disarmed and kicked down one, Clary launched into the fight, taking on the man that was going after Jace while his back had been turned and Serena battled the other two.

As Jace got up and reclaimed his blade, the rest of the rogue Shadowhunters fell easily enough.

And they rushed towards the angel.

But his chains refused to break as they hacked at them with their weapons.

"These chains have to be enchanted with dark magic. Nothing else can stop our seraph blades," Serena noted as they refused to break under her swords.

Ithuriel then began to cry out, disorienting Clary and Serena for a second before they understood, whipping out their steles as they drew on the chains.

"What are you doing?" Jace asked worriedly.

"He's communicating with us," Clary told him as they drew back, runes finished.

And Ithuriel broke his chains.

The Angel spread his wings with a smile, free for the first time in a long time as he held out his hands.

Serena took one, Jace took the other and Clary completed the circuit as Ithuriel gave them a vision.

One that showed a demon destroying the soul sword.

"What was that?" Clary asked as they let got and Serena faced the Angel.

"Thank you, Ithuriel," she said serenely, in a voice that was unbelievably calming. "Fly."

And Ithuriel shot for the heavens.