Chapter 65

(A/N: Serena's dress for this chapter and the next couple above. Enjoy. XxD)

******************************************************************

Serena and Alec had managed to convince Maryse to let Magnus host Max's Rune party at his house and he'd really gone all out for the occasion.

Serena was the frontrunner in the mission to get Shadowhunters and Downworlders to get along as something more than just work colleagues and hosting a rite of passage party for a Shadowhunter in a Downworlders' home was a step in the right direction...she hoped.

Magnus had needed a bit of convincing and emotional blackmailing to agree, but he did, and he put his heart and soul into this party, knowing what it could mean for the relationship between Shadowhunters and Downworlders in the future.

Alec suggested making it Spain themed since Robert proposed to Maryse in Barcelona, so the party was of course complete with a sangria bar and a flamenco band.

Serena, on the other hand, was in a gorgeous red dress as she did damage control, making sure that everyone got along, especially when she saw Jace talking to Simon and Clary, the latter attached to Simon in a way that was clearly much more than friendly.

"You two look cute together," Jace commented, and Serena could tell that it really killed him to say that.

"He means it and so do I," she assured as she curled herself onto her brother's arm, already feeling the tension flowing from Jace's body as she arrived, glad for her support.

"Thanks, Serena," Clary smiled, a small genuine grin and Serena returned it.

"We were just heading to the bar to see what kinds of blood types Magnus has on tap. Want anything?" Simon joked, trying to defuse the tension between the three. But the tension only increased when he noted the glass already in Jace's hand.

"He's good but I'll take a sangria please Simon," Serena smiled and all three of them were beyond relieved that she was here to help make it a little less awkward.

"Best friends huh? Oh, sister how it hurts when you lie," Serena joked, holding a hand to her heart and Clary giggled.

"It was sudden to me too, and it's still very new but yeah, I like it."

"I'm happy for you," Jace said genuinely, and Serena rubbed his arm, proud of him. She knew that it really hurt him to see them together, much less to say that he was happy for them.

"Thank you," Clary replied before her smile fell as she saw Simon talking to Maia who was the bartender.

Apparently, he'd gone on a date with the wolf before finally deciding to act on his feelings for Clary.

Serena leaned closer to Clary. "Careful, little sister. Jealousy is a colour not even Isabelle and I can make look good. Come, JJ, Max is about to arrive, and you still have to give your compliments to the host."

Clary gave a small smile at Serena's mothering of Jace who rolled his eyes at her but was glad to get away from the situation, before she went after Simon.

Serena pulled Jace over just in time to catch the tail end of Maryse's conversation with Magnus who had been nothing but kind despite the discreetly harsh comments Maryse had said.

"Mom, please. This is a big day for Max and for the future of Downworlder-Shadowhunter relationships, so please, be nice," Serena asked as she took the woman's hands.

Calm seemed to wash over Maryse as she sighed.

"I'm sorry. Let me go apologise to Magnus," she said as she walked off and Alec and Jace looked surprised at the woman in red.

"What?"

"I love you, but you will never understand the gravity of what you just did," was all the explanation Alec offered as he pecked his wife's lips before leading his brother into the apartment.