Chapter 81

Only Alec and Serena knew what Izzy truly was doing.

She was in her room, pretending to be sick with the flu as she tried to sweat the vampire venom from her system and break her addiction, Magnus having given Serena a potion that would block the effects of the withdrawal from her.

They were both was supposed to stay at her side but with a massive demon attack, Izzy insisted that they go.

So here they were, crouching over different dead bodies that lay on the floor of a popular bar.

"Baby, any idea what this sand on the floor is?" Alec asked as he observed the pile of it near a victim's head.

"Get a sample of it. It could tell us where the demon came from and what kind it is," she called as she inspected the mouths filled with frothed spit with a torch.

"I've never seen a demon cause this kind of haemorrhaging," Jace commented as he peered over Alec's shoulder, Serena showing Clary what to look for as Luke walked over.

"Any security footage?" Alec asked.

"Nothing in the bar. Maybe CCTV caught something outside on the street," Luke informed.

"We should get them back to the Institute. I don't like doing this here," Serena said as she observed the policemen that couldn't see them standing right outside.

"Good idea," Luke agreed.

"Detective Garroway?" called a woman and Luke went about distracting his new partner since Alaric died that night at the Institute.

"Let's get out of here. I wanna run that sand. Be dears and grab the luggage would you, boys?" Serena smiled as she tapped Alec and Jace on the chest, having taken off her latex gloves.

Luke and Clary smirked at the looks on their faces.

There were a lot of bodies to bag.

"Let's go Clary," Serena called.

And they left.

******************************************************************

Serena had established that the demon they were dealing with was a Greater Demon, but she couldn't pin down what kind, so she and Alec paid a visit to Magnus.

Magnus revealed that it was sand from the worst dimension of hell, sand left from the trail of Azazel, a prince of hell.

Serena began fidgeting with her pendant as she thought and Alec said, "Why's it so dark in here?" and gestured to the drawn curtains that were normally open.

"Hello Alec, Serena," came Raphael's voice and Serena had to hold back Alec.

"Why are you protecting him?!" he asked.

"Because if you kill him then you ruin all chances we have at restoring peace with the Downworld. So, stop Alec," Serena pleaded and the white wave of energy flowed from her mouth as it washed over Alec and he took a deep breath.

"Raphael has something to say to you too," Magnus said.

"Nothing he says matters to me," Alec replied.

"Your sister's in trouble," Raphael said.

"You're damn right she is," Alec fired, Serena's wave of calm already wearing off. "She's suffering from withdrawal back at the Institute because of you."

"She just came by the DuMort, begging for a bite."

"What?" Alec asked in disbelief.

"So, help you Raph, if you bit her, or are lying to me -"

"I didn't touch her. You have my word. You know I don't lie to you, Serena. I owe you for Rosa," Raphael cut her off. "But there are plenty of vampires more than willing to take a bite," he warned, and Alec sighed.

"I never should've left her alone. You go kill Azazel, I'll handle Izzy," he said to his wife, giving her a chaste kiss on the temple before Magnus joined Alec on the way out, the address of the closest vampire den in hand.

Serena just sighed. "Sure, leave me with the easy job."