Chapter 82

Their jobs inevitably led them in the same direction.

Serena responding to a call about three dead mundanes with froth mouths and sand on their faces and Alec and Magnus nearly heading to the closest den when they came across Serena and the bodies.

After returning to the Institute and informing Jace and Clary, they pondered what a Greater Demon could possibly want with Isabelle, when Jace suggested that there was one person that they could ask.

"I have no idea what you're talking about, but it is so nice to see you three," Valentine smiled as he looked to Clary, Serena and Jace.

"Azazel wouldn't leave Duduael on his own. Someone broke him out. Someone with access to the Mortal Cup," Clary stated.

"Circle members," Jace finished. "They released the Greater Demon to break you out of here."

"I see Serena is the only one I raised to have common sense, despite her relationships with Downworlders. If the Greater Demon wanted to free me, how would I still be here, having this inane conversation with you two?"

The two glanced at Serena. Valentine being correct in the reason that she'd stayed silent so far was that she didn't believe that Valentine was behind it, at least not yet.

"I want to banish demon filth from our realm," Valentine continued.

"If that's true then tell your followers to give back the Cup," Clary ordered. "We can force Azazel to give us Izzy."

"I don't know where the Mortal Cup is!" Valentine said again.

"If you're lying, so help the Angel..." Jace began.

"If you were smart Jace, you would use me as bait."

All their heads snapped up.

"The only way to control a Greater Demon is with the Mortal Cup. Azazel will do anything to destroy it. So, summon him with your warlock friend and tell him I have the Cup," Valentine explained. "Offer him a trade, me for Isabelle."

Jace began to pace.

"That could work," Clary said.

"If Azazel has Isabelle," Serena piped up.

"What do you mean if?" the redhead asked.

"I don't know. Our bond, it's felt off lately because of the yin fen, and Magnus's potion only blocked out physical symptoms, but I can still feel her emotions. She doesn't feel scared. And I know Izzy's brave and all, but anyone would be scared if they were kidnapped and alone with a prince of hell."

"And if he does have her?" Clary questioned. "All the evidence we have so far points to Azazel. And once he gives Izzy back, I can take him out with my sunlight rune," Clary persisted.

"This is a trap," Jace voiced. "What possibly makes you think that you could trust him?"

"I'm not sure I would trust me either if I were you, but, the longer Azazel has Isabelle, the greater the chance she dies," Valentine said softly, voice raw.

"We don't have a choice," Clary announced but Serena still didn't like the plan. She then turned to Valentine. "This better not be a trap. Your life is on the line too."

"Clarissa," Valentine began, leaning close to her. "I would never do anything to hurt you. You're my daughter."

And it was then that Serena knew Jace didn't tell Clary and that he was screwed because Valentine was definitely about to.

Clary scowled at him. "Why would that stop you? Jace and Serena are your children and you've hurt them plenty."

Valentine turned to the two of them, a smug smile on his face as Serena stared at her brother who stared at the floor.

"You didn't tell her."

"Tell me what?" Clary asked as she glanced back at the two.

"You must still have feelings for her huh? And I bet you wanted him to tell her. Now isn't that a pickle?" Valentine taunted.

"Not another word," Jace growled, and Serena went to hold his hand, but he shoved her off.

"What is he talking about?" Clary asked nervously.

"I'm sorry Clary. JJ should've been the one to tell you," Serena began.

"You want to do the honours or shall I?" Valentine asked Jace.

"Shut up!" Jace bellowed as he punched Valentine across the face, making Clary gasp.

Valentine spat blood.

"It's rude to keep a girl waiting, Jace," he continued to goad.

"By the Angel, Jacey, just tell her!" Serena said.

"Jace, what's going on?" Clary asked again as Jace stared intently at Valentine before sighing.

"Valentine's not our father. Serena's not your sister." Jace looked up at her, blond hair falling in his eyes as he said, "And I'm not your brother, Clary."

Clary ran from the room.