Chapter 83

"Jacey," Serena called and her brother turned to her, tears in his eyes as Clary left and Serena wrapped him in a hug. She'd left the couple to talk, checking on the other cells in the holding area before she heard the sound of the elevator and caught the tail end of their conversation.

Clary had been angry that Jace lied to her, yes, but what had hit Jace was when Clary accused him of being emotionless, of not feeling anything after witnessing so much death and destruction. Her words being, "Just feel something. Whether it clouds your judgement or not," and she'd walked out.

He didn't know why, but those words just hit him like a ton of bricks.

"I love her. That's all I feel. I love her. Yeah, I feel guilty about the Downworlders, but Rena, I love her," he sobbed into her shoulder and Serena wanted to cry for him.

"Little brother, look at me," she said, pulling his face away as she wiped the tears from under his eyes with her thumb. "You have to tell her. You owe it to her and to yourself. I know it might ruin things with Simon, but, JJ, if she's what you love and what makes you happy, you gotta take the shot."

"What if she doesn't love me?" Jace asked so brokenly, and his sister kissed his cheek before pulling him back into a hug.

"She does. Anyone can see it Jacey, she does. And if she says no, then that's her loss, because I love you and Alec loves you and Izzy and Robert and Maryse and Max all love you too. If she says no, then she missed out on what a wonderful thing it is to be able to love the great Jace Lightwood."

"I am pretty great," he joked, and his sister laughed.

"That's right, you are. And don't you forget it JJ."

Jace pulled her closer. "What would I do without my big sister?" he muttered.

"With the amount of dumb things I've stopped you from doing, you'd have been dead a long time ago, that's for sure."

And they both laughed.