Chapter 84

They summoned Azazel.

But as Serena's inklings from before had been right. He didn't have Isabelle, and then Azazel broke free.

All of them were screaming in pain and agony as Azazel made it ran ash and Clary's sunlight rune failed.

All except Serena.

Azazel was intrigued by her as he watched her run over to Alec and Jace, trying to soothe them, knowing full well that she'd have no chance against Azazel on her own when she didn't even know how to kill him.

As she held both boys, in an attempt to calm them down she unconsciously began singing. Singing the old song that Maryse used to sing to her and Izzy as a lullaby years ago. 

And in waves, the white energy pulsed like ripples as it flowed from her mouth, streaming across the courtyard as it overcame Azazel's agony spell.

But it was too late.

Serena hadn't seen it as the Prince touched Magnus, and then Valentine.

But what she did see was her brother. Was his eyes glowing gold as he activated a rune without his stele when he saw Clary screaming in agony and calling out for him.

Ceasing her singing, Serena joined her brother, drawing her swords and striking just in time for the demon to turn into a million moths and disappear.

Serena then turned to her brother, Alec, Clary and Magnus regaining their bearings, still a little disoriented despite Serena's calming magic.

"Congrats, JJ. Looks like you discovered what your angel blood can do," she smiled at him and he shook his head at her with a grin.

Jace then went to help Clary up, Serena helping Alec before the couple helped Magnus who was more disoriented than everyone else.

"Are you ok?" Alec asked.

"I... I think so," Magnus answered, despite him looking unsure of himself.

As the group left and other Shadowhunters came for Valentine, they didn't hear the shackled Shadowhunter scream for help, something he would have never done.

And that was true, because in that moment, Valentine wasn't Valentine.

He was Magnus Bane.

And inside the body of Magnus Bane was Valentine....free and armed with magic.