Chapter 88

"Hey, Magnus," Jace greeted as the warlock opened his door.

"You guys got here awfully fast," he commented as they came inside.

"Well, we were already on the way when you called," Serena explained. "So, what did you need?"

Magnus didn't say anything as Jace moved to his sister's side.

"You said you needed our help with something. What's up?" he asked with his eyebrows raised.

"Nothing. It's just nice being like this," Magnus answered cryptically. "Like...friends. It's a shame that it has to end."

And Magnus fired his magic at them.

Jace's hands were then trapped in shackles but Serena's pendant glowed as it shielded her from the magic, and she drew her swords.

"Valentine," she growled as she ran at the warlock who dodged her first few swipes before summoning swords for himself, realising that magic had no effect on her.

Jace could do nothing but watch as his sister fought viciously against Valentine, trying her hardest not to harm the body of her friend.

But as they duelled, Valentine realised something. 

While magic may not work on Serena, it can work on Jace.

Their swords clashed as they met in an X position before Valentine pushed her off and used magic to drag Jace in front of him and place a sword at his neck.

Serena froze instantly as Valentine contorted the face of one of her closest friends into a sinister smile, knowing he'd won.

"We have to stop meeting like this," he said as Serena threw her swords down, face set in a permanent scowl.

"You know the drill, honey," he said, and Serena cringed as Shadowhunter cuffs identical to Jace's appeared before her. "Twins always match. Put them on."

As Serena complied, he pushed Jace towards her and grinned.

"Now the fun begins."