30 Letters to a Prince

Hey Descendants!

Out a little late, sorry, I know.

But here's the new chapter for your weekend reading!

Lots of Love,

-Dark-

===========================================================================

They were safe.

She was safe.

Adorably uncomfortable and uncertain. But safe.

And with Hiro staying with them, as bad as it was for their blood pressure, he could breathe easier knowing that they wouldn't be able to slip away again.

At least not without being noticed.

He'd be lying if he said he wasn't worried about them running again.

He couldn't imagine the type of stress they were under. The doubt they held.

The fear that Auradon would reject and abandon them to the isle.

He grimaces.

Again.

He'd spent so much time assuring them that they were safe, promising that no one could hurt them here.

Pointed out over and over again that their parents were locked behind the barrier a sea away.

Told them they could feel free to be themselves.

He gave them his word that they didn't have to live in fear.

And then-

He shakes his head.

Jane.

He breathes out.

He couldn't say that they were close. It was a fact that bothered him.

He'd extended the branch several times, but even as a child she'd been timid. He distinctly remembered her nearly passing out several times he'd tried to make friends with her back before they entered school.

Eventually, he'd left it alone. As much as he'd wanted a friend, it clearly made her incredibly uncomfortable and overwhelmed to even be near him, no matter how gentle and soft his approach.

But he had no ill will towards her.

He just, what had she been thinking?

What could possibly possess her to act so recklessly?

Jane was a lot of things.

Sweet.

Quiet.

Shy.

Insecure.

But reckless?

Impulsive?

Shallow?

Those just weren't traits he ever thought to associate with her.

So then, what happened?

It bothered him, niggled at him for days, but he had been more focused on finding Mal and securing their safety.

Now that they were safe?

He frowns. She'd started acting odd-

When the gang came over?

That couldn't be right.

What would Mal and her pack coming over have to do with Jane's sudden change in temperament?