Chapter 1

Violet.

"Let me in! My friend works here." I yelled at the security guard in front of the bar, in order to let him hear me over the loud music. I thought this was a bar, why does it sound like a club? He looked at me over his ridiculously thin sunglasses and shook his head no. 

"Jesus Christ." I muttered under my breath, rolling my eyes as I stood waiting in line to get in. I had been here for almost 10 minutes at the front of the line but he wouldn't let me in unless someone else got out. It didn't even look busy in there.

Who wears sunglasses at night time? I glared at the bouncer who was wearing a full black suit and looked like your stereotypical bouncer; bald, slightly overweight and arms that could crush me with one swift motion if they wanted to. I felt like his suit would rip if he ever flexed his biceps too much. He stood in front of the door, arms crossed in front of him, looking stoic as ever. 

I could feel people pushing me from all directions in order to get in and I tried my hardest to push back and keep them at bay. "I want to get in too, fuckers, stop pushing." I sneered at the men behind me, who were clearly piss drunk and had hardly heard me.

I thanked the lord when a girl in a skimpy dress stumbled through the doors, almost tripping on her very high heels before I heard her vomiting only a few feet further. I scrunched my nose up in disgust and adjusted the strap of my bag on my shoulder, clearing my throat to get the bouncer's attention. 

He took a piece of paper out. "What's your friends name?"

"Abby. Or Abigail." I sneakily tried to look at the list he was holding, running his finger along the line of names until I saw my friends name at the bottom. "There." I smiled, pointing to it. He didn't seem happy that I had rushed him, but let me through anyways. I refused to thank him as I walked by, finally opening the doors to the dark and gloomy café. 

It was a rather dingy bar, and I couldn't see the appeal for Abby to work here, but I'd had a long day and needed a friend to catch up with. I made my way through the masses of people, who were dancing, grinding and kissing all around me. The air was thick with smoke as I tried to find my sense of direction to find the bar.

"Abby!" I called out, finally reaching her at the bar, "I thought you were working?" I frowned as she was sitting on a bar stool rather than standing behind it. She pulled me in for a hug and I smelled the alcohol in her breath as she yelled in my ear. 

"I got off about an hour ago!". Abby's long blonde hair was in a ponytail and she was dressed in denim shorts and a black crop top. More of her skin was on display than hidden.

I grabbed the barstool next to her, dropping my bag to the floor and sliding off the leather jacket I had been wearing all day. "A beer and some tequila." I ordered my drink and the bartender nodded, placing it in front of me not even a minute later. I downed the tequila shot instantly before soothing my throat with the beer. "Another one, please."

The girl nodded again and refilled the little glass that was stood on the dark wooden bar. Only when I downed the second shot, I moved my attention to Abby who was looking at me with wide eyes. 

"One of those days?" She asked with raised brows, bringing the straw of her vodka red bull between her lips. I nodded with a sigh and gulped down more of beer, already holding up my hand to get the bartender's attention and order more. "Those fuckers can get on my nerves so badly. Can't believe I have to work the weekend too."

"But tomorrow's your day off, right?"

"Yes, thank God. I was so done today. Got nowhere with either of them and almost got mashed potatoes thrown at me. Just another day at the office I guess." I rolled my eyes at my own description of my work day, still feeling the frustration and anger inside of me about how my shift had gone.