Chapter 22

Violet.

I was still coming to terms with receiving the letter from James when my phone buzzed a few minutes before nine. I noticed the text from the unknown number around the same time Harry had promised me someone would come pick me up. 

The bar was not even 15 minutes away, but he seemed to insist and I trusted his judgement.

Message from: Unknown

Here to pick up miss Rae. Harry sent me. Car is downstairs.

I grabbed my coat and my bag and headed down the stairs, seeing the black Range Rover with the engine on in front of the building. The side window was rolled down. 

"William?" I asked. I was met with a boy who seemed no older than 18, pale skin and jet black hair pushed up into a small quiff. He was dressed in all black as he shook his head. "My name is Finn. William was occupied tonight."

"Right." I breathed before opening the passenger door, hopping in the seat and fastening my seat belt.

"Where to, miss?" Finn's voice was polite and warm as he geared up the car, placing his gloved hands on the steering wheel. "Harry's bar." I answered and he nodded, starting the short drive.

"Driver's gloves and all, very professional." I remarked as Finn chuckled and shrugged, "When I do something, I do it right." He smiled.

"I'm sorry you have to do this, by the way. But Harry seemed to insist."

"William and I will take turns driving you and picking you up, unless Harry orders us otherwise. We pay our dues for the gang, miss. No need to apologize." Finn answered and I nodded. "Call me Violet, please. Miss makes me feel... too fancy."

Finn chuckled slightly and nodded. "Okay, Violet."

The rest of the drive was silent, and it actually took slightly longer since this car wasn't fit for the little shortcut alleyways I usually took towards the bar. Taking the main roads caused quite the detour. Finn slowed down when we were in front of the bar and he got out too as he walked me inside the bar, trailing behind me closely. 

I looked around, not seeing Harry anywhere but noticed the door of his office was slightly cracked. The bar wasn't busy yet, and Steph was behind the bar by herself, helping out the few customers. "I think Harry's upstairs." I pointed up the stairs to Finn and he nodded. "Text or call when I have to drive you back, you have my number now."

"It could get late." Guilt washed over me when I realized this boy had to stay up all night just to drive me the few miles to my front door. It seemed so excessive, but he quickly shook his head. "I don't mind, Violet. Like I said, paying my dues for this gang, it's what I choose to do."

"Alright. Thanks." I smiled as he turned on his heel and walked out, and I went up the stairs to see Harry. I had changed out of my dress and into a pair of jeans and a shirt, just my signature outfit. I knocked on the door slightly, pushing it open a bit more. Harry was behind his desk with a few papers sprawled out on the wood, and Jenny was on the couch.

"Hi." She smiled when she saw me standing in the doorway. I smiled back and Harry cleared his throat, nudging his head towards the door and quietly signalling Jenny to leave. We were left alone in the office and Harry motioned for me to close the door.

"Everything went okay with William?" Harry asked. I noticed he had also changed, wearing a black button-up shirt now instead of his grey T-shirt. The sun had kissed his skin slightly and he had a flush of colour on his cheeks and forehead.