Chapter 83

Violet.

I let out a sigh when I entered the gates of the RSP, ready for my final shit ever.

It was as if suddenly I looked at these hallways differently. The chipped, beige paint didn't seem so dreadful, the empty windowsills that were covered in dust didn't seem so gross and the distant sound of people bickering inside nearly made me grin instead of leaving me feeling annoyed like it would most days.

"Hi." I breathed when I walked into the social worker's office on the final Friday morning, seeing Alex there. I was excited to do my last shift ever with him. He was the colleague I got along with the best and we were mostly on the same line when it came to caring for the kids.

The bickering I heard was between Nellie and Ian, who were coming down the stairs for breakfast as the first ones that day.

Ian had a wide smile on his lips when he saw me, "Look who it is." I could tell he still had trouble stopping himself from hugging me. Hugs between the social workers and the kids were common, but between me and Ian it was strictly forbidden by Victor.

"Can't believe you're leaving u for some fancy state-operated facility. They'll have cleaners there and all!" Alex teased and I rolled my eyes, having no doubt in my mind that Clarendale's would have a cleaning crew and that it would overall be a much nicer building than this one.

"And you're going to have all this fancy food and these snotty colleagues, you're going to forget all about us." He continued and I let out a laugh, "Would never forget about you."

I playfully punched his shoulder as I sat down on the chair behind the computer, quickly catching up on yesterday's logbooks to see if I had missed anything major. The last few weeks had been quiet in the RSP. We had a large group, but everyone was minding their own business.

Ever since Ian and Eve, there hadn't been any relapses or runaways, and it felt nice to move forward with everyone.

"What have we got planned for today?" I asked and Alex cocked up an eyebrow, "What do you mean? It's your last day."

I slowly nodded, "I'm aware. But what is the morning activity?"

"The morning activity is you."

"Oh my God," I groaned, leaning my head back against the back of the chair, "Don't tell me we're all going to sit in a circle and I have to listen to everyone saying nice things about me."

Alex let out a laugh, "Sadly enough, I don't make those rules."

"I thought that was only something we did when residents left? We've never done that for a colleague!" I cried out, dreading the moment already.

"Well, there's never been a colleague who has been here as long as you before they left. You're kind of a household name here."

"Ah, please." I rolled my eyes with a snort, "Can't we just... do something else? I hate being the centre of attention."

Alex nodded, "I'll see what we can do. But you're going to get your goodbye-moment either way. I saw that Victor cleared everyone's agenda's at one. Lana and Stephen have been asked to come in an hour early, and he summoned all the therapists too. Even Vivian, who is hardly even here."

My eyes widened, "Are you serious? Fuck, I'm going to hate this so much."

"I know. We all know. I was surprised that Victor went through with it. He must be really pissed still to put you through that kind of torture." Alex was half sarcastic but also half not. Everyone knew Victor was still so angry with me for keeping everything from him about Harry and Ian.