Chapter 11

Violet.

I took another glance at the clock that hung above the cracked open door. Nellie had just knocked on it to ask one of us to hand her the perfume that was stored away in her little locker.

Things like perfume and deodorant were held at the office for each resident, since they contained ingredients that were addictive such as alcohol. It sounded stupid, but once a kid drank their perfume in order to feel something

He didn't feel anything besides getting his stomach pumped. That was not a fun night that I had spent at the hospital.

I had brushed Nellie off slightly and told her Rebecca was available. I loved Nellie to bits, but she had a habit of hoarding the attention of the social workers with her stories about her friends and sisters, and I had other things to do right now. 

I kept flicking my eyes between the parking lot camera footage and the clock, until finally I saw the Range Rover pull up and park. 

Louis and Ian got out and made their way to the gates as I felt my heart beating faster. I was the first on my feet when they got buzzed in and entered the hallway. 

Ian didn't look good. Any colour that had been in his face, had been drained from it again. He had his hood on and I gasped when he shrugged it off, remembering the rule of the RSP that it wasn't allowed to wear a hood inside. 

His left temple was completely blue and purple and I looked shocked at his swollen eye. 

"What on earth happened to you?" I exclaimed before he had the time to say 'hi'. Louis put his hand on his brother's shoulder and shrugged. "Had to teach him a lesson."

Both Lana and I stood quite frozen. We had seen cases of abuse and violence, but never to this extent and never this obvious. I cleared my throat and noticed the distraught expression on Ian's face. 

"How are you?" I asked, and he shrugged. I could already see his lower lip trembling and I knew he was on the brink of some kind of meltdown. Louis stood a few feet behind him, looking tired as ever but he didn't say anything. 

I stepped forward a bit until I reached Ian, and the second I put my hand on his shoulder he broke down into sobs.

He leaned into me and I was slightly shocked when he actually hugged me. 

"I'm sorry." He cried, shoulders shaking while he was weeping in my arms. Louis looked even more shocked than I was. I patted Ian's back and tried to shush him. "It's okay. Don't worry. You'll be fine."

It wasn't the first hug I shared with residents. 

I used to be mindful with it, but once a girl was begging for a hug after she had received bad news and it made me realize how much better I felt when I got a hug during a difficult time. It really was such a simple thing to lift someone's spirits and it brought a sense of comfort that couldn't be replaced with anything else. 

Not every resident was as keen on hugging, because it definitely was quite a close thing to share with someone and not all of them wanted to make that connection with their caregivers. Usually the hugs here were happy, like when a kid left on their final day and they said their goodbye's, but a resident crying in my arms this openly was a first.

Ian pulled back, still sobbing with red eyes and cheeks. I shot him a sly smile in an attempt to comfort him. My heart was breaking for this boy. 

"Victor will be down in a minute to take your urine test. You'll have to be isolated from other residents until we get the results back, probably sometime this afternoon. Are you hungry?" I asked, to which he nodded, tears still leaking from his eyes.