Chapter 7

Violet.

I groaned when another discussion erupted at the dinner table. Alex and I exchanged a look, silently saying 'I'm so done with this' to one another through the glaring of our eyes. Aaron was the first to stand up and tower over Ian, who was complaining about the heavy snoring. 

It was a Tuesday at the RSP and I worked my afternoon shifts with Alex the coming days.

"Aaron." I mumbled, rubbing my forehead, "Calm down. Please, sit and enjoy your meal." I pleaded, still trying to sound stern but I was honestly losing hope for these two. Ever since Ian arrived, the dynamics of the group had shifted completely. He had seemed shy at first but was being a real twat since yesterday, picking fights with everyone. 

I knew he was going through heavy withdrawal by the look of his tired eyes, hollow cheeks and permanent shivers. But I didn't know him well enough to check if he was just acting out because of that, or if that's just how he was.

"Can I eat separately?" Aaron snapped, and I silently applauded him for his mature behaviour. The Aaron of a few months ago would've never done that. I shot him a quick nod and he grabbed his plate to eat on his own in one of the therapist rooms. 

I quickly hurried after him to unlock the door, telling him I'd be back once dinner time was over. He agreed and I could tell by the tension in his shoulder and the way he balled his fists, that he was close to exploding. 

"Do you want me to stick around or should I leave you alone?" I carefully asked.

"Alone." He muttered. I nodded, silently praising him for being able to voice what worked best for him in stressful times like this. 

Ian had a smug look on his face once I returned. "Not done with you, mister." I pointed my finger at him and sat back down with a sigh. "Did you have a talk with Rebecca yesterday to start your first step of the program?" I asked while I stuffed some more chicken in my mouth.

"Rebecca's been out sick." Alex answered in his place and I rolled my eyes. "Seriously? So no one has been taking care of Ian's start-up? No one has informed him or had therapy sessions with him yet?"

Alex shrugged and I let out another sigh. "It's fine. We have a few hours after dinner, we'll do a session then." He desperately needed to get started on his tasks so he could move along in his program. Only once he was officially started with a personal psychologist who evaluated him, he could move up the steps. 

Right now he was just stuck in the beginning. I honestly wanted to see him evolve throughout the different phases to see what kind of personality he had. And if he was anything like Louis.

Hope not.

"Isn't it visitation hours tonight?" Ian asked, poking his fork in his food with a look of disgust on his face. Withdrawal lesson one: you're never hungry. 

I palmed my forehead. "Right, Tuesday. Completely forgot. I'll see what we can do for that therapy session. And you know you have to eat at least one bite right? Otherwise you don't get to smoke after dinner."

Ian gave me wide eyes and looked shocked. "I don't get to smoke??" He obviously wasn't aware of one of my favourite rules. 

If the kids weren't allowed drugs, their cigarettes were literally holy. It was the only leverage we had on them. Alex shot me an amused look from across the table. It was always kind of fun to see the reaction they gave us once they heard that.

I nodded slowly. "One bite, or no cigarette."

He threw his fork in his plate and slouched back in his seat, looking stubborn as fuck. Now I could definitely see Louis in him.