Chapter 9

Violet.

I spent my Saturday in bed after the long night I'd had at the RSP and afterwards at the bar. My body felt heavy as I woke up around noon, and I stretched and rolled over once more, not wanting to leave the warm cocoon of my bed. 

The earplugs caused everything to be quiet except for my own breathing, which felt peaceful and calming. I pushed out the outside world like that, cause even in my home, I was never really alone. Besides the roommates and the rodents, I was pretty sure my direct neighbours could hear me breathe on a quiet day.

It was about an hour later I changed into sweatpants and a jumper before making my way through the living room. The sun was shining through the windows, and it was the only times the apartment looked... nice almost. 

From a distance at least. 

Of course if you got closer you could see the cracks in the walls, the mold on the ceilings and the uneven wooden floors. I stood with a cup of coffee in front of the window, watching a train go by that caused the windows to shudder slightly. Everything always seemed to tremble as a train drove by, which only accentuated how fucking old this building was. 

It was exceptionally quiet at the neighbours and around the hallways this afternoon, and I suspected a lot of them had gone out to enjoy the sunny weather.

I cracked open a window and had my usual breakfast; coffee and a cigarette. I know I had to eat today as I had the weekend off and couldn't rely on the RSP food. The frozen pizza with my name scribbled on the box was luckily left untouched by Pierre.

I sat eating my food as I scrolled on my phone, checking some social media that I was hardly interested in. I liked to lurk, I just never posted anything myself. I got a text from Abby that made me grin.

Text from: Abby

We're working together tonight, whoo!!

Another night of staring at Abby's breasts. 

Great. 

I was kind of nervous to see Harry again, but it wasn't like I expected anything. I knew what type of boy he was, I had known the minute Abby introduced us. He was just really attractive, and the sex was... I sighed when I remembered Harry's hands on me, our sweaty bodies melting together. The eye contact was what made it so much better though. 

Harry's eyes were the most calming green colour I had ever come across, and it was very easy for me to drown or get lost in them. I couldn't imagine him feeling the same way, as my eyes were just plain brown with a hint of green in certain light.

Once I was well awake, I decided to finally tackle the bills I'd been dreading. Like he did every month, Pierre left his share of the money cash on the hallway table, hidden in one of the drawers. I didn't know why he didn't use a credit card, but then again, I didn't even know what he did for a living so his money could very well not be clean.

Pierre had always been a huge mystery to me, but I decided to never ask questions. He was the perfect roommate in so many ways. He paid on time, he was never here and he never bothered me. He never stole my food, he never got in my way, he didn't have any weird shit lying around. Most of the time it felt like I lived here on my own, and I was fine with it. 

I had always been alone.

My brow pinched together as I put on my glasses and tried to figure out the difficult words on the letters from the bank. After a quick glance over, I transferred the money from my account through my phone, as well as the dreaded bill from Saint Mary's hospital.