Chapter 76

Violet.

"What's this?" Victor frowned as I put the paper down on his desk and crossed my arms in front of me with a sigh.

"My two weeks' notice."

"Y-Your... what? Are you quitting your job?" He stammered as he grabbed the sheet and held it in front of his face to see it, quickly glancing over it before he rubbed his forehead. "Jesus."

"I can maybe help you find someone new? I had a few really great people in college with me who would be absolutely perfect for this job." I tried as I shifted on my feet.

I was wearing jeans and a T-shirt, but regretted my outfit tremendously when it turned out it was another very hot day today. It had looked grey and gloomy outside, but it was absolutely humid and boiling outside. I couldn't wait to change into a dress later.

"I'm... wow. I'm sorry, I don't really know what to say. I didn't expect this." He muttered, letting out another sigh before looking at me from behind his desk.

I shot him a half smile. "Trust me, me neither. But I think we both know I haven't been doing very good here lately and an opportunity presented itself and I realized... I'm ready for something else."

"An opportunity?" He frowned in confusion and I nodded. "They, um... They offered me a job at Clarendale's."

"No way." He sighed, and I could already see the judgement on his face. "That's where Harry is, isn't it?"

My stomach tightened slightly upon hearing him say Harry's name and I nibbled my lower lip before nodding. "Yes."

"Is it just because you want to be closer to him?"

"No." My brow furrowed at his words. Did Victor really think that Harry was my only motivation of going to work at Clarendale's? "I'll hardly see him there, it's a different department."

"So... did he get you a job?"

I frowned deeper, feeling annoyed that everyone seemingly thought Harry had fixed up a job for his girlfriend. "No. During my visits there I've been talking to some residents and everyone really liked me. They're starting up a youth program there too, and they offered me a job."

"Just like that?"

"Why does everyone say that." I sighed, "Maybe I'm just good at my job?"

"You are. You are good at your job, it's why I'm so sad to see you go. I thought you were a great fit here. Come on, Violet, we've known each other for nearly four years."

I nodded. "I know. And I was a good fit here, but... Like I said, just time for something else. I need a change, Victor. I felt like I reached my limit here."

"Starting up an underage program, are they? Hope they don't snatch any other of my social workers." He joked slightly and I smiled. It felt bittersweet to hand him my notice, but it felt like huge weight being lifted off of my shoulder.

He took another glance at the seat and then took the glasses off of the bridge of his nose, seeming in thought. "Alright then. I'll get things in order for your termination. Do you have a specific date when you have to start there?"

"The two weeks will be fine."

"Right. And you said you have some leads on new people?" He asked and I quickly nodded, taking out another piece of paper from my bag. "Yes, I've written some names down with the contact information."

Victor glanced over the names with a frown. "These are all women?"

"Yes." I breathed, "Victor, now that I'm leaving... Can I give you a piece of advice? Well, two actually."